Somone Explain or tell me where to go to learn about MIDI controlling?

IbzSZ

• Members

do you want to know how to setup something in particular?
if yeah, what gear?

or do you want to know how midi works in general?
if yeah...forget anything about sound...midi doesnt create sound...but can trigger something to make sound.
thing of it like your tv remote changing your tv channels.

• Members

The problem with amps like Marshalls or Peaveys is that their footswitches use special jacks (at least I think so, correct me if I'm wrong), rather than the standard universal 1/4" jacks that most amps use. Implementing MIDI to change the channels would be pretty costly because it'll require a specialty switching system with a custom cable. There are plenty of companies that make them, but they can be pricey. For pedals you would need an Audio switcher. Most of those go from anywhere between 200-500 bucks depending on what you need.

My advice, if you use a decent amount of FX, MIDI is a must. I used to be a strict pedalboard kinda guy and used TONS of effects. The result was me spending most of my gigs staring at the floor dancing on pedals rather than performing. I switched to MIDI and, though it takes forever to set up and program, it is SO convenient and simple once you have your presets. But the switch was expensive and VERY time consuming to set up.

If you just use a few pedals and a two-channel amp though, I don't think it's really worth the time, effort, and expense.

• Members

A few simple things about MIDI. There are 3 types of connections.
OUT = connection that is sending information
IN = connection that is receiving information
THRU = connection that passes info on

Most system now have the capability for 4 paths of data with 16 channels on each path but older gear only had one path with 16 channels. Some gear is omni gear which means it sends and recieves on all channels at the same time but most now you can set up which channel to send and which channel to receive. This is when you want to talk to one peice of gear and not another.

MIDI has many parameters associated with it or information that can be set on the channels to a given piece of gear. This includes data for pitch, data for a patch number, data for volume, data for sustain, data for on/off control, etc, etc. You can get a list of all the parameters online.

A simple setup is a MIDI controller pedal OUT to a MIDI effects unit IN with one cable. Assuming the pedal OUT is sending on channel 1 and the effect device is set to receive on channel 1 then when you step on the pedal it will
send data to the effects unit. What it sends can be programmed into the pedal, although a typical default is program change. The effects unit can also be programmed to change based on what data it receives but typically the default is to change to the program (patch number) that is being sent. What you normally do is store on your effects unit the effect you want for a given program number so that when you step n the pedal it calls up the patch that you want. If you have multiple effects then you set them up in the same method and they will al change with a given pedal push.

If you have any specific problem let us know what your path is and we can explain the methods to use.

Archived