Any Live Peavey jsx users here? need advice

rokinrandy

• Members

I was wondering if I could get some tips on volume and master volume settings. of course these will be small clubs.. And there will be mics and a good P.A available.. maybe some help with mic settings as well ..

I mean I have seen the threads that suggest settings tone wise as to the bass ,mid, gain etc...But no threads on pushing the jsx to it's limit versus using a microphone into a P.A or finding the right combo of both ...How far can you go with your volume and master volume before it muds out .. Hell I read that some of these guys turn it all to 10 .. It seems that most amps do not sound the best at 10 in my opinion . it just loses sizzle. or is something wrong with my ears :facepalm:

I'm curious to see what kind of answers I get:lol:

I will be playing classic rock in this band I just joined..AC/DC,zz top ,skynard,

And even some 80's metal like dokken, Dio, Ozzy ..

Guess I'm getting older because I'm mellowing out .

And Like i said i believe i have the tones picked right ..just curious about volume levels

Thanks for any tips in advanced:thu:

• Members

I was wondering if I could get some tips on volume and master volume settings. of course these will be small clubs.. And there will be mics and a good P.A available.. maybe some help with mic settings as well ..

I mean I have seen the threads that suggest settings tone wise as to the bass ,mid, gain etc...But no threads on pushing the jsx to it's limit versus using a microphone into a P.A or finding the right combo of both ...How far can you go with your volume and master volume before it muds out .. Hell I read that some of these guys turn it all to 10 .. It seems that most amps do not sound the best at 10 in my opinion . it just loses sizzle. or is something wrong with my ears
:facepalm:

I'm curious to see what kind of answers I get:lol:

I will be playing classic rock in this band I just joined..AC/DC,zz top ,skynard,

And even some 80's metal like dokken, Dio, Ozzy ..

Guess I'm getting older because I'm mellowing out .

And Like i said i believe i have the tones picked right ..just curious about volume levels

Thanks for any tips in advanced:thu:

I usually put my channelvolumes at 5 then master up to an acceptable level. in a small club I doubt they'll let you dime the master and channel volume anyway and if you're mic'ing what's the point of Blasting it?

I've read that Satriani said that master volume high and channel volume low yields a more vintage tone and the opposite yields a modern tone-To me diming the master and adjusting the volume is the best way to attain some power tube distortion for low gain crunch settings like for your classic rock stuff. I'd say Dime the master and adjust the channel volume for a more vintage tone for acdc on the crunch channel with the gain like on 3 with humbuckers.You'll get some EL34 power amp break up.Depending on the condition of your tubes you might get some noise with the master cranked.

• Members

Thanks this is good i will research it .. I did not get to read this post before the show but I have had a lot of squealing on my ultra channel..The sound guy said he hates the amp,lol....

Oh yeaI have 6l6 tubes by the way .. but they break up as well thanks.

• Members

I personally wouldn't dime the master on a JSX or Triple XXX unless you want hiss and hum between every note. Set the ch volume to taste and and watch for the sound guy to give a thumbs up on yer master level with the house P.A. and monitors up. Rock on yo!

• Members

try the crunch channel, roll off some gain

a good hush or isp decimator processing the signal before the amp and in the loop may help a lot

peavey amps tend to squeal cause they are VERY middy, specially if you're boosting it

the jsx, xxx, valveking and rockmaster have some diode clipping between the last tube gain stages, and that's probably responsible for part of the hiss

what speakers are you using?

• Members

I personally wouldn't dime the master on a JSX or Triple XXX unless you want hiss and hum between every note. Set the ch volume to taste and and watch for the sound guy to give a thumbs up on yer master level with the house P.A. and monitors up. Rock on yo!

You know something This is also very good advice. The sound man is so used to dealing with the same experienced people he probably did not think to mention this to me friday . or saturday. But he did mention I should use JJ euro tubes to help my amp sound better..And I said I did:love: I knew right then he hates my amp ...

Saturday he Said I should get better pick ups to reduce noise..I told him I have the best seymore duncans ever made....But That was also right before he unpluged the neon miller lite right over my amp...the next band did not have to deal with noise or buy new pick ups..: I mean I have not played out in a very long time..So I'm re -learning again

• Members

try the crunch channel, roll off some gain

a good hush or isp decimator processing the signal before the amp and in the loop may help a lot

peavey amps tend to squeal cause they are VERY middy, specially if you're boosting it

the jsx, xxx, valveking and rockmaster have some diode clipping between the last tube gain stages, and that's probably responsible for part of the hiss

what speakers are you using?

Thats funny, your last name is "Wylde" and you are telling me to roll off the gain on the crunch channel.. just kidding.. I realize I mentioned the classic rock thing..But there are some covers that require high gain..Besides I'm a high gain freak at heart...so is joe satriani... so this amp should do it without all the squeal..At least I would think so..I'm starting to wonder where all the versatility is that I was promised...I mean I have used my mg100hdfx and did not have the issues..NOT saying the mg is better:cool:

Wow I hope there is some kind of fix for the diode clipping..But I really have no issue with hiss ...And further more I would hate to be limited to the crunch channel ...You know I plan on getting back into my metal stuff after this band..the crunch is not going to do it for me..I bought the amp because I like the crunch channel...But I love the tone of the ultra channel and I figured i could switch between the 2.... all in the ultra channel..feedback..sqealing..:confused: And I use 4 celestion 75watt g12 in a laney cabinet by the way ..

Another thing I'm also about 4 ft from my amp and 4' from my stage monitor. But that should not be the problem either.

Because the other band never had these problems..he used a marshall half stack I think he used a jcm800.. But he also had a {censored}load of mxr dunlop stuff ..I never been much on a bunch of pedals. . especially distortion pedals and stuff. I only have 2 stomp boxes..an overdrive and a micro amp..never use them...

Correct me if I'm wrong...But I may need to consider using pedals with the issues at hand..After all I have read that is what the jsx is designed for.....

Wow Did I buy an amp made for pedals? ooooops my bad .. But at least you get massive distortion with pedals on a clean channel at high volumes without as much feedback and squeal... Well I assume that, I have not tried that on the jsx yet

But what sucks about that it leaves me thinking the ultra channel is useless live..I've even seen clips on you tube by all these good guitarist catch a little squeal here and there on theyre clips..and I'm sure they are set at low volumes ..Man the ultra is an awesome sounding distortion but what good is it if it squeals... And if i turn it low enough not to squeal i would have to match the volume of the crunch channel..so when I switch it the switching goes unnoticeable ...So if the crunch is set to match the ultra level then there would be no balls in the crunch channel anymore:facepalm:...

So I guess will look into a hush or decimator I hope it works and is not a waste of money..the noise gate on the amp does not work for it,lol... would a boss noise gate pedal or something work just as good as a hush or decimator....I never liked noise gates because it kills sustain..but I need to do something.. soon.....

Thanks everyone,RR-

Archived