68 Bassman price?

srvaughnabee

• Members

just traded a peavey classic thirty for a 69 bassman in cherry condition. the guy just had it serviced and everything- i bought my classic thirty for 350, so i guess i got a deal. either way, compared to most old vintage fender amps, these bassmen retain a pretty low value.

they do, however, rawk. what are you thinking of trading it for?

• Members

It was offered as a trade plus $150 for my almost new G&L

i would say it depends on:

1) condition of the amp

2) how much you'll use it

3) how much you currently use the G&L

just keep in mind they can be found for relatively cheap, so if the G&L is not something you'd want to get rid of, you can usually find a bassman for 300-500 cash......

• Members
...dumb {censored}...most likely is running their 4 ohm head through a 16 ohm cab...

Actually, two things happen...(1) you get more power tube saturation without frying the tranny; (2) running a 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm load mathematically halves the power output. This technique used to be the norm back in the 70's. I must be getting too old.

Go run your old Bassman 50w head into a single 16 ohm Greenback and get back to me. :thu:

• Members

Actually, two things happen...(1) you get more power tube saturation without frying the tranny; (2) running a 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm load mathematically halves the power output. This technique used to be the norm back in the 70's. I must be getting too old.

Go run your old Bassman 50w head into a single 16 ohm Greenback and get back to me.
:thu:

No thanks. Every tech I've talked to said it was a bad bad idea. One step up is ok, but two steps is a big no no.

• Members

how much was ur G&L?

I paid $999 for it in a holiday sale at a local shop. Im pretty sure they normally sell for around $1200. So with the trade and only $150, I think Id be losing quite a bit off the value if I was to sell it outright.

Does $800 seem like a fair price for the legacy or am I dreaming?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085672&highlight=g%26amp%3Bl+legacy

• Members

Go run your old Bassman 50w head into a single 16 ohm Greenback and get back to me.
:thu:

yea...

i enjoy not {censored}ing up my {censored}

• Members

I paid $999 for it in a holiday sale at a local shop. Im pretty sure they normally sell for around $1200. So with the trade and only $150, I think Id be losing quite a bit off the value if I was to sell it outright.

Does $800 seem like a fair price for the legacy or am I dreaming?

i wouldnt trade the G&L unless you could get a bit more

unless it was just serviced with fresh tubes

• Members

No thanks. Every tech I've talked to said it was a bad bad idea. One step up is ok, but two steps is a big no no.

Bassmans have killer transformers. Running at 16 ohms shouldn't be a problem; just don't run it at 2 ohms. Running it at 16 doesn't half the power output on a tube amplifier, but it will probably sound a little tighter. My '68 will be hitting Ebay soon. I hate to sell it, but gas prices are killing me.

• Members
...Running it at 16 doesn't half the power output on a tube amplifier...

Sure it does. It takes 14.1 Vrms into a 4 ohm load to equal 49.7 watts (~50 watts). It takes 28.25 Vrms into a 16 ohm load to equal 49.87 watts (~50 watts). Using a 4 ohm tap into a 16 ohm load [which is what we're talking about here], the equations become 14.1Vrms / 16 ohms = 0.88125 amps, and then 0.88125 amps x 28.25 Vrms = 24.89 watts (~25 watts). Also, since the 16 ohm load is drawing half the current, the trannies stay cooler. :thu:

Edit: To clarify, if your tube amp is running at 1/4 of the speaker load, you will get half power output. 50w/2ohm amp (reissue Bassman) into an 8 ohm cab = 25w output; 50w/4ohm amp (60's Bassman) into a 16 ohm cab = 25w output; etc., etc.

Archived