Fender Concert (Rivera Era) Combo experiences

Shinequwa

• Members

I've had my 1x12 Concert II for ten years. Liked it so much I ended up getting the 2x10 and 4x10 versions also. Traded the 2x10, and debated getting rid of the 4x10 - but will probably have a head cabinet made for that chassis instead. I'd like to hear the 4x10 with a set of vintage Jensen C10Ns instead of the stock speakers.

My vote for the best speaker in the 1x12 is an old EV SRO. It handles anything the amp can put out, and sounds warmer than an EVM-12L.

• Members

I personally did not like my Concert. Most of the reviews touted it as a boogie killer. I had a Super Champ and loved it. I should never have sold it. The Concert's lead tone was pure crap to me. I loved the Super Champ's lead tone when pushed with a Chandler Tube Driver. The Concert's lead tone did not even come close to a Mark III Boogie I used to have.

In my opinion, the biggest improvement you can make to this amp is to ditch the Fender Blue Label Speaker. I'm assuming the Concert you played through had this speaker. I had the Super Champ, and own the Concert. I love them both equally.

• Members

In my opinion, the biggest improvement you can make to this amp is to ditch the Fender Blue Label Speaker. I'm assuming the Concert you played through had this speaker. I had the Super Champ, and own the Concert. I love them both equally.

What are the tonal differences between the two amps?

Thanks.

• Members

hey thanks, there's one in a shop around here for 500, it says concert amp and has the on/off switch and standby on the back... good deal? and is that a concert or a concert II?

sorry for all the questions, but i don't know anything about these concert amps, and want to make sure i know what i'm buying.

The "Concert" is not the same as the "Concert II." The Concert II, like the super champ, was PTP and Rivera designed. You're likely looking at a Concert.

• Members

What are the tonal differences between the two amps?

Thanks.

To be honest, I think they are very similar in tonal qualities. The obvious differences are wattage (headroom-lower distortion volumes), the size of the cabinets, and the size of the speakers. They both sound very close in my experience. The Super Champ just wasn't always loud enough for me in regards to playing with a drummer in an unmiced situation. The tones themselves, very close. Like a previous poster stated, they are kind of like baby twins. Maybe a bit of a "glassier" tone.Take pedals well.

• Members

To be honest, I think they are very similar in tonal qualities. The obvious differences are wattage (headroom-lower distortion volumes), the size of the cabinets, and the size of the speakers. They both sound very close in my experience. The Super Champ just wasn't always loud enough for me in regards to playing with a drummer in an unmiced situation. The tones themselves, very close. Like a previous poster stated, they are kind of like baby twins. Maybe a bit of a "glassier" tone.Take pedals well.

Thanks.:thu:

Archived