blown screen resisitor

bluesboy

• Members

had it happen. it wasn't too horrible a fix, but when yer broke and in your 20's, it sure seems expensive.. a retube, the bench fee, and the week without an amp was traumatic.. but it wasn't a tragedy, all told! but tell him to replace his power tubes more often and he won't have to worry about it!

• Members

y'know-- i dunno how difficult it'd be-- one resistor wouldn't be too bad-- it's just what it did further down the line that you couldn't test for that i'd be worried about! i had NO idea at the time-- so i had a tech do it-- but ask! somebody might know what the possible outcomes of a fried resistor'd be and give you things to look out for.. drain your caps!

• Members

I had the same thing happen to my amp. I could definitely tell it was blown because it had split into two pieces. I replaced it myself which wasn't too much of a difficulty. Just make sure to drain the big power supply capacitors before you do anything. I used a high wattage (10-25 I think) resistor with alligator clips attached to the leads to do it. Unsoldered the old one and soldered in the new one with no problem. Replaced the tubes and fired it up and it worked like a champ. Good luck w/ yours!

• Members

I traded a box for four resistors and did it myself, then put a spare set of tubes in the amp. Checked bias and plate voltage before running the amp hot again.

Total cost: $0

Skaaks, mine was in two pieces as well. It was very obvious what the problem was.

• Members

It's not uncommon for a power tube to take out it's screen resistor when it goes bad, which is why you're supposed to replace power tubes regularly instead of waiting till they fail completely.

You can't just replace the resistor though, you have to grind up the bones of a bats wing and spread the dust over a sacrificial lamb during a full moon the night before you replace it.

• Members

It's not uncommon for a power tube to take out it's screen resistor when it goes bad, which is why you're supposed to replace power tubes regularly instead of waiting till they fail completely.

You can't just replace the resistor though, you have to grind up the bones of a bats wing and spread the dust over a sacrificial lamb during a full moon the night before you replace it.

wow really? THANKS :facepalm:

• Members

Resistors usually have the value right on them. They can also be easily measured. There's probably at least one good screen resister he can check to get the value. And TSL schematic is easy to find on the web. And even if he couldn't find a schematic or determine the value, 1k 5W is a pretty safe guess.

• Members

Usually it's caused by a short in the tube, which takes out the grid resistor. I haven't done any TSL amps I'm thinking it has EL34's, usually they run a 1K (1000 ohm) resistor 1 to 5 watt, not sure. If it has 6L6's or 6V6's it should take a 480 ohm and usually 1-2 watt is all you need. This is a good time to learn something about how tube amps work. I advise you get the tubes tested before doing anything else.

• Members

what do they have capacitors inside tube amps for anyways?

it's not like you need them to help turn it on... you leave it in standby for a minute or two
:idk:

Different kinds of caps do different things in an amp. Changing the values of certian caps can change the way the amp works. Not something I can explain to you on this forum. Trust me once you know them you'll love them.

• Members

I had to change a screen resistor in my 79 twin when a POS chineese output valve blew. And I do mean blew! Flashed white like a lightbulb, the amp went bang and smoke started rising out of it! Very Rock and Rol!

It was VERY obvious that the resistor had gone when I took the chassis out. It was all blackened around the valve base of the valve that had blown.

I simply read the value off one of the other screen resistors and changed it over. Dead easy, and probably a 20 minute job tops, including taking the chassis out and putting it back in again :thu:

Archived