Bent Candy - Highly Experimental

travis coats

• Members

Very nicely crafted downtempo musical framework punctuated by guitar like samples or synths (or maybe an actual guitar heavily modded?)

The movement from one section to another is very effective, I think, quite smooth.

I was a little surprised when the vocals kicked in... but then I was a little more surprised that there weren't more of them. Was this a dub mix or...?

Anyway, it's hard to find much fault here. Since it's my perception that there are a number of downtempo and electronica fans who are a more than a little iffy about vocals, you might consider an alternate mix w/o vocals to please the anti-vox partisans (twice the mileage with little extra effort :D )... but, you know, this sounds pretty together, for sure.

;)

• Members

I think the problem I have with your vocal style is it kinda sounds like you're trying to imitate someone else... There are bells going off, but I can't pinpoint who.

You might have better luck getting the vocals to sit right if you double or triple take it.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies! I have been busy as hell this weekend!!!

While I don't like writing lyrics or singing, once in a while I get the urge to throw something down, and mix it up. This one is going to be remixed, the lower kick is too loud and the mix seemed flat, but I wanted to hear some thoughts on it musically.

I have heard of Bauhaus, but never really listened to any of their music. My voice is naturally a little mid-range, and often too soft spoken so I thought about amping it up a bit to fit the mood....that's what the results were.:)

I am glad you thought it was Vangelis meets Enigma, as I love both of em!

I tried adding more vocals but hated them so I just left it as is. Small and short like most of my ideas, and let the music say the rest.

Thanks again for all the feedback, I need to start browsing through some posted music!!!

*EDIT: that guitar sample is a FM8 bass routed through guitar rig for distortion with a tad bit of compression.

Archived