How to wire up two 8 ohm speakers and use Marshall's standard jackplate?

petejt

• Members

I need to get this stuff clear before I blow anything up.......

I have a standard Marshall 1960A 4x12 speaker cab. It has a jackplate with two inputs. It can take two 8 ohm inputs (stereo), or one 16 ohm input (mono).

There are two pairs of speaker wires coming from the jackplate.

I have two 12", 8 ohm 200 watt speakers.

How can I wire these to the jackplate, and what input (eg. 1x16ohms) will it safely accept?

• Members

You're putting 2 speakers in a 4x12?

Connect each pair of wires to one speaker.

Yup. The cab is becoming a semi-Leslie cabinet. So I had to remove the top two speakers to make room for the speaker driver and rotating treble horn.

So effectively the cab becomes a 2x12. You could say I'm asking how to wire up a 2x12 using the jackplate from a 4x12 Marshall 1960A cab.

So, you're saying that it'd be perfectly fine if I wire one jack to one speaker, and wire the other jack to the other speaker? And then just run two speaker cables from the amp (two 8 ohms output) to the cab?

And then set the switch on the jackplate to 8 ohms stereo?

That simple? I hope so.

• Members

Even simpler. Using the original wiring the mono/stereo switch and jacks will work the same way. Mono will still be 4/16 ohms depending on the jack, and stereo will still be 8 ohms per side.

Stock, the cab is setup so that each side is a pair of speakers, with each pair being 8 ohms total. All you're doing is replacing each 8 ohm pair of speakers with one 8 ohm speaker. Impedance-wise it's the same thing.

So you don't need to run two cables from the amp, just run one and use either 4 or 16 ohms on the amp/cab just like you normally would.

• Members
Even simpler. Using the original wiring the mono/stereo switch and jacks will work the same way. Mono will still be 4/16 ohms depending on the jack, and stereo will still be 8 ohms per side.

Stock, the cab is setup so that each side is a pair of speakers, with each pair being 8 ohms total. All you're doing is replacing each 8 ohm pair of speakers with one 8 ohm speaker. Impedance-wise it's the same thing.

So you don't need to run two cables from the amp, just run one and use either 4 or 16 ohms on the amp/cab just like you normally would.

Great! :cool: Thank you so much! :thu:

Now to buy the bolts to screw the speakers in place.......

Archived