Question for gigging guitarists

Hapless

• Members

Always, always, always bring 2 guitars to a gig. Especially if your guitars have floating tremolos.

Always make sure your guitars have new strings on them before every gig too.

this

i never EVER play a show without a backup, and unless your music absolutely can't be played without a trem than at least one of your stage guitars should be a hardtail

if i break a string at the beginning of a song i'd let the band keep going and switch guitars during the song, if it happens mid or late in the song i'd just wank on thru as best i could...really you guys should all have a backup plan for what to do if the {censored} hits the fan during any given song (you break a string, bass player breaks a string, an amp cuts out, major drum malfunction, etc.) so you can deal with it on the fly and not look like a bunch of noobs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. ALWAYS have a backup, especially if you're using multiple instruments with different tunings. A 1:1 ratio isn't necessary, but having an extra guitar or two around is a big plus if you've broken a string.

2. Change your strings with regularity. It all depends, but you should be able to tell when it's time. Believe it or not, new strings sound better than old ones.

3. If you're breaking strings on a standard trem, then YOU'RE PLAYING TOO HARD. Adjust your picking attack. Use thicker strings. That trem isn't meant for frequent dive-bomb attacks, that's why the Floyd Rose was invented. Make sure your guitar is capable of doing what you want it to do - that's the secret of being happy with your gear.

Oh, and don't worry about the show. Six or so beers beforehand, and you won't have a care in the world. ;)

• Members

I used to tour like a bastard for years, and I only ever broke 1 string - the high E. The secret - Graphtech saddles. I always had a backup, but never needed it. New strings before a show are mandatory as far as I'm concerned.

I forgot to mention this as well, I put graph techs on my two PRS guitars two years ago, I've broken one string in that time, cover band gigging every friday and saturday.

I also don't change my strings too often, once every 4-6 months, I'm not kidding either. Elixir Anti Rust and wipe downs.

Archived