33 or 6262?

C.B.O.

• Members

Just today I went to a local music store. They have a Crate 33 all tube head there for $200. Now to me it wasn't terrible but lacked some things. I was using a Schecter Hell Raiser with the Emg's in it and it just wouldn't hold out the pinch harmonics. Now I'm trying to decide on whether to get this or just save a few more houndred dollars and get a Bugera 6262. My taste is more metal and I like a metal feel to a amp. So give me some of your opinions of what I should do.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Bugera 6260 is a decent amp. The reliability issues are totally blown out of proportion IMO

I used to work for an amp company and sometimes we would get inquiries from customers saying they were concerned about reliability because there were "too many bad reviews on HC" .. I'd check the reviews page and there would be something like... 8 bad reviews there. I used to think to myself, " we probably sold more than 8 units in the last 1/2 hour." It's ridiculous.

The truth is that most people who buy gear do not post reviews online, good or bad, they just buy it the gear and use it without ever bothering to write about it. Also, people with a bad experience are more likely to try to voice their opinions then satisfied users, so take these "reliability stories" with a grain of salt. Bottom line is, if you do not have access to the company's reports, you won't know for sure. Ever.

• Members

I've had a bugera 333xl since the day it came out and its awesome. I liked it better than the 6262 so I bought it. Tighter gain el34's just better. The 6262 isn't very managable it sounds very loose to me. It does sound similar to my 6505 and 5150 but not exactly. But another reason I didn't get it is because I already had 5150's. I originally just was bored and had some money to spend and said what the hell I'll buy one of these to mess around on. Ends up the 333xl is now my main amp. My peavey 6505 is my backup. So go figure. I didn't expect that at all when I got it either. Just make sure you try the 6262 vs the 333xl... Don't go purchase the 6262 because thats the one you hear about being like the 5150. I can almost bet you'll walk out of there with the 333xl.

• Members

I've had a bugera 333xl since the day it came out and its awesome. I liked it better than the 6262 so I bought it. Tighter gain el34's just better. The 6262 isn't very managable it sounds very loose to me. It does sound similar to my 6505 and 5150 but not exactly. But another reason I didn't get it is because I already had 5150's. I originally just was bored and had some money to spend and said what the hell I'll buy one of these to mess around on. Ends up the 333xl is now my main amp. My peavey 6505 is my backup. So go figure. I didn't expect that at all when I got it either. Just make sure you try the 6262 vs the 333xl... Don't go purchase the 6262 because thats the one you hear about being like the 5150. I can almost bet you'll walk out of there with the 333xl.

Well I don't have a local music store that carries Bugera so...But if you want to make a recording or know of one that would really help on my decision. People say the 6260 is better than the 6262 but then I hear that the 333xl is better than both of them so I'm not sure what I will go with yet.

• Members

The 333xl sounds better for metal I think. It actually has more gain than the 6262... a lot of people don't realize that. Much tighter gain too. For some reason I see people on here that don't think the 333xl is a metal amp and it is. It also has a damn good clean channel though which the 6262 doesn't do well. I wouldn't retube it like the one guy suggest but thats all opinion. The el34's in my opinion sound much better than 6l6's. the 333xl is smooth and tight gain like I said... The 6262 is not as managable it's very noisy. I'd find a way to play both. I think if you buy from musicians friend you can actually send it back if you don't like it. Order the 333xl if you aint satisfied send it back.

• Members

6260 > 333 at just metal

333 > 6260 at everything but metal

(not that the 333 can't do metal, trust me a good set of tubes and a boost and it does a great job at it, its just easier to get there with the 6260)

Bugera > Crate at anything non vintage.

What would you need a boost for? I'm not sure about the 333 but I know the 333xl has much more gain than the 6262 had with no boost. The 333xl has a boost built in also. and the xl buttons. I found it easier to get the saturated gain tone I like with the 333xl and trust me I messed with both of them for about 2 hours before purchasing. the gain on about 10 o clock was saturated... it took about 3 o clock on the 6262. I'm nothing but a metal player and I chose it over my 6505 as my main amp if that says anything.

• Members

6260 > 333 at just metal

333 > 6260 at everything but metal

(not that the 333 can't do metal, trust me a good set of tubes and a boost and it does a great job at it, its just easier to get there with the 6260)

Bugera > Crate at anything non vintage.

6262 or 6260?

• Members

6262 or 6260?

the 6260 is like the 5150 and the 6262 is like the 5150 2 or 6505+. The 6262 has a seperate eq for the clean channel. The 6260 has slightly more gain but it's barely noticable I think. Go on youtube and type in JSX and watch some of that and then type in 333xl and listen to some of that and check out that lead tone and then watch the 6262. You'll see what I mean.

• Members

I'll add too the 333xl is modeled after the jsx so if you can find a peavey dealer and play the jsx you'll get an idea of what it sounds like. They are not exactly the same but pretty close. Same with playing a 5150 and the 6260.

Ok I have played both the 5150 and JSX. But what I need to know is, is the 6260 better than the 6262?

And I cant find a used 5150 for a cheap price. And idk if I really want to trust e-bay or craigslist.

• Members

No it's not better its just whichever one you want. A lot of people like the 6260 but if you want a seperate EQ for your clean channel and a slightly better clean channel then you want the 6262. Theres not a hell of a lot of difference. I mean yeah I can tell the difference in my 5150 and 6505+ but it's not a huge difference and I'd pick my 6505+ over the 5150. So I'd probably pick the 6262.

Archived