gimme some machinehead.

CorpseTumor

• Members

I honestly really only like the Blackening.

What?!

How old are you? It's very important, your age vs the Great Depression of Metal. They were extremely important in carrying and spreading the torch. Maybe if you're just looking back I'll understand if you find them as less than amazing, but if you really lived through 90's waiting for good albums and don't like Machinehead I really have to ask what you were excited about at the time.

• Members

if you really lived through 90's waiting for good albums and don't like Machinehead I really have to ask what you
were
excited about at the time.

I dunno...

Morbid Angel

Death

Immolation

Bolt Thrower

Ulver

Suffocation

Dying Fetus

In Flames

Iron Maiden

Blind Guardian

Ved Buens Ende

Arch Enemy

At the Gates

Dark Tranquillity

Opeth

Spastic Ink

Atheist

Cynic

Brutal Truth

Kreator

Gorguts

...among others :p

I'd hardly call the '90s the Great Depression of metal.

• Members

What?!

How old are you? It's very important, your age vs the Great Depression of Metal. They were extremely important in carrying and spreading the torch. Maybe if you're just looking back I'll understand if you find them as less than amazing, but if you really lived through 90's waiting for good albums and don't like Machinehead I really have to ask what you
were
excited about at the time.

machinehead always tired to carried the torch of trends that were cool three years ago if you ask me :idk:

• Members
I dunno...

Morbid Angel

Death

Immolation

Bolt Thrower

Ulver

Suffocation

Dying Fetus

In Flames

Iron Maiden

Blind Guardian

Ved Buens Ende

Arch Enemy

At the Gates

Dark Tranquillity

Opeth

Spastic Ink

Atheist

Cynic

Brutal Truth

Kreator

Gorguts

...among others
:p

I'd hardly call the '90s the Great Depression of metal.

I was trying to be dramatic, damnit! Most of your list is either bands that existed long before and had a following and ones that came out at the very very end of the 90's. Between grunge and the general shift towards rap, that 1992-1997 era was dry. Clubs dropped right and left. Hell, when Death came to town it for less than 100 people. In terms of new bands during that time that helped keep metal trendy enough to pump money into the market I think Machinehead was pretty vital. I would say that Pantera was the single most important, and a very shallow nod to Megadeth via Symphony of Destruction (the song itself mainly, but the album overall had a few videos made). Then I'll credit Korn, and then Meshuggah for killing Nu Metal playskool riffage with but one lonely well placed djent.

Archived