Modding an Engl Fireball for EL34s?

petejt

• Members

I found another amp tech in Perth (actually referred to me by a mate of mine), who also builds his own pedals.

After my MarkIV is finished, I want to get my Fireball's poweramp valves replaced. It currently has stock 6L6 valves.

I've got two new Electro Harmonix EL34 valves lying around.

Would it be worth getting the Fireball modded for EL34 valves and using the EH's in it?

• Members

God no. The Fireball is already a bit harsh and EL34s would make it unbearable. There was a Norwegian guy who used to hang around HCAF and had an EL34 Fireball, and he ended up going back to 6L6. He said the EL34s destroyed the lowend, and IMO the Fireball needs a little more thump anyways. EL34s would also make the lead tone excessively bright. He had clips of it around the internet, so if you google search you might be able to track them down.

• Members

God no. The Fireball is already a bit harsh and EL34s would make it unbearable. There was a Norwegian guy who used to hang around HCAF and had an EL34 Fireball, and he ended up going back to 6L6. He said the EL34s destroyed the lowend, and IMO the Fireball needs a little more thump anyways. EL34s would also make the lead tone excessively bright. He had clips of it around the internet, so if you google search you might be able to track them down.

Why mess with perfection?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll take that on board.

What about 6550s or KT88s instead? Something more 6L6 like, but a little different?

Archived