Vintage Fender Amp Help -- pt 2

Jimihendrix55

• Members

So I posted a couple weeks back about some issues with my 64' Deluxe Reverb and my tech, after giving it to him on 3 separate occasions, has not been able to a) replicate the problem, or b) fix it.

The original post about this is here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2104937

In Summary, the problem is this: The amp will randomly cut out into a low 'filtered' sound. This seems to happen at any volume. So far, its only been channel 2. Sometimes, it doesn't cut out ALL the way right away, and will crackle and distort for a little before it does. When it's 'out', sometimes I've tapepd the v1 tube shield and it pops back in. I've swapped tubes and problem continues.

I've recorded an mp3 of the problem happening, and it happened for a long enough time that I could rule out a lot of variables:

- I unplugged from my pedalboard

- Used 2 different guitars

- Used 2 different brand new Monster cables

here's the clip: (5 meg mp3) http://www.funkybutter.com/deluxe_reverb.mp3

So now I'm pretty sure its the amp at this point. Attached is the mp3. There's about 8 or 9 separate clips in this one track. There's no Mic clipping. I didn't change pickups or anything in the middle of a clip.

My tech changed all the electrolytic caps the first time I took it in, but it didn't seem to do the trick. He went through a checklist of things which basically seemed to cover checking everything in the amp. He couldn't find any component issues. He then ran a guitar track on a loop from Pro Tools into the amp, for 6+ hours every time I take it to him. he's says the problem never happened.

Here's the clip again: http://www.funkybutter.com/deluxe_reverb.mp3

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know my tech doesn't neccessarily have the time to sit and play the amp for hours, so if you guys have suggestions of things I can do to locate it, that would help. (someone suggested opening the chassis, and playing through the amp, taping on components and connections with a rubber/wooden object).

• Members

My tech once told me that 90% of all problems with tube amps are in the tubes.

If you haven't already:

Try replacing all the tubes and cleaning and retentioning all the tube sockets. You might have to get the tech to do the cleaning, retentioning part. Do all the tubes.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that the reverb send return tube has an intermittent short.

I have a 64 Deluxe Reverb myself and I just put a new speaker in it. Celestion Blue. Put the original speaker away to save it. Took the amp out to a jam Saturday, wound it out to 10 and it just sounded AMAZING.

• Members

I've swapped tubes and problem continues.

I've recorded an mp3 of the problem happening, and it happened for a long enough time that I could rule out a lot of variables:

- I unplugged from my pedalboard

- Used 2 different guitars

- Used 2 different brand new Monster cables

here's the clip: (5 meg mp3)

So now I'm pretty sure its the amp at this point. Attached is the mp3. There's about 8 or 9 separate clips in this one track. There's no Mic clipping. I didn't change pickups or anything in the middle of a clip.

My tech changed all the electrolytic caps the first time I took it in, but it didn't seem to do the trick. He went through a checklist of things which basically seemed to cover checking everything in the amp. He couldn't find any component issues. He then ran a guitar track on a loop from Pro Tools into the amp, for 6+ hours every time I take it to him. he's says the problem never happened.

Here's the clip again:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know my tech doesn't neccessarily have the time to sit and play the amp for hours, so if you guys have suggestions of things I can do to locate it, that would help. (someone suggested opening the chassis, and playing through the amp, taping on components and connections with a rubber/wooden object).

The first thing I would do is find a tube tester and test all your tubes, if your Amp Tech didn't do this before working on your amp he's a Bum and shouldn't be paid a cent. If he doesn't have a tube tester he's only guessing and isn't worth his salt. As someone else stated 90% of all amps problems are with the tubes. The other 10% are usually something to do with the power supply or bad connections.

• Members

Cool thanks for the tips! He did test the tubes but a tube tester would probably be a good investment. Any recommendations?

The first thing I would do is find a tube tester and test all your tubes, if your Amp Tech didn't do this before working on your amp he's a Bum and shouldn't be paid a cent. If he doesn't have a tube tester he's only guessing and isn't worth his salt. As someone else stated 90% of all amps problems are with the tubes. The other 10% are usually something to do with the power supply or bad connections.

• Members

Cool thanks for the tips! He did test the tubes but a tube tester would probably be a good investment. Any recommendations?

Hopefully one of the tech types (Rocca. et al) will chime in but tube testers, the old type you used to find in hardware stores, will tell you if the tube is working but that's about all.

Your problem is an intermittent one and if it is a tube that's the problem, the tester won't find it.

• Members

is this a reissue amp?

My old princeton had a problem like this and it was because I played it loud for long periods of time and the "board" that everything is mounted on would get hot and warp slightly making a connection loose. This was a p to p wired amp obviously.

If you want to test a tube, put it in another amp that works. That's been the simplest way for me over the years. Tube tester as others said, are not too good unless they are extremely expensive ones.

• Members

is this a reissue amp?

My old princeton had a problem like this and it was because I played it loud for long periods of time and the "board" that everything is mounted on would get hot and warp slightly making a connection loose. This was a p to p wired amp obviously.

If you want to test a tube, put it in another amp that works. That's been the simplest way for me over the years. Tube tester as others said, are not too good unless they are extremely expensive ones.

Nope, not a reissue. Original 64'. Unfortunately, I don't have another amp to put the tubes in. However, I do have some extra 12ax7s so maybe next time it happens, I'll swap the tubes out quick and try again

• Members

There are cc resistors in the power supply pan along with the power supply electrolytics, away from the main circuit board. They're known to lose their value, open, crackle and are often overlooked. Hate to run you in circles, but it's worth asking your tech if he checked them and at least resoldered them. Those mp3s sound like a bad connection or solder joint for sure, but an old carbon comp resistor can do that too.

• Members

For the average guy just about any tester that checks for shorts, grid emmission and tube strength will do. I own 3 because my dad had a TV repair shop in the 60's. I think the best is the D&K 747 but I like the Sencore 109 better, doesn't do as much but is easier to use and small enough to keep in my tool box. Some Tech's like Jackson's or Hitchcock's and a few other high end testers but I doubt you really need to do performance testing, you'll get the important test and save money with a good emmissions tester. If you buy a tester keep a set of good "known value tubes" as a reference set to compair other tubes with and for calibration.

Archived