Well, I like it, red.

Some of your images really got me:

"life just flies apart

thrown howling to some wild space"

"die to see your smile

like springtime spread across your face"

Not sure I like "tattered rust"

Kind of an irregular rhyme scheme though:

lines 6 & 8 rhyme consistently, as do 10 & 12, but 3 & 4 are a near-rhyme in verse 1 and nowhere else; 2 & 4 rhyme in verse 3 but nowhere else. That's cool if that's how you want it, but it's not standard.

I think a rewrite (or another rewrite) would really tighten it up, Nice work, IMO.

• Members

Perhaps its the mix of metaphor in the last verse but the refrain lines of the verses started taking on a real ominous ring by the end. When I think of "better place" I usually think of he/she's gone on to a better place...

And I know you're a careful writer, maybe that's entirely what you mean and the third verse comingles the hunt and killing, the family table, and the breaking of fasting (from food/from love)...

Interesting lyric, for sure.

• Members

Thank you both very much.

On the fence thing, I was describing a field fence in disrepair, out here they used these strung steel fences with ~6" X8" rectangles, but eventually they all ended up just sort of twisted and mangled and rusted and running into the ground at the back end of the fields. That's what I was looking at.

As regards the "better place", well, I rolled with two meanings. I wrote this to someone I would like to actually see in a better place, but realistically I probably will not see this person again at all in this world. Broken relationship. So I do have that ominous, end-of-the-world thing going on too. Very depressed mindset sometimes. I realize that this is natural and temporary.

I am fond of this piece, so I appreciate the comments regarding rhyme pattern.

I was going through recent songs yesterday to organize my recording schedule and was sort of surprised to find how many of them I simply am not interested in recording. I lost about ten or so songs as soon as I tried to schedule them. In many cases this is because they were all written from that same emo/drama headspace; they were simply identical insofar as emotional content is concerned.

That would be a very boring listening experience.

• Members

It's funny, in the middle of the last post I was interrupted for a discussion of the recording and was told my so-called schedule doesn't boinking matter because they can shuffle everything around once it's digitized, add reverb, this that :blah::blah::blah: etc. They also said :blah::blah::blah: I have no idea, my mind just goes blank.

I don't know what's wrong with me; if it has more than four knobs though I'm basically {censored}ed. :cry:

Archived