Writers block...what to do...

Fenderman1991

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

go to the furthest away, dive Denny's at midnight and just hangout. pretend to read a book with your notepad, and eavesdrop on everyone, and write down various lines you hear. Start a conversation with the waitress and find out everything about her life - her dreams as a child, her secret passion today.... write down various physical traits of a number of DIFFERENT patrons, and then combine them all into one character, and write a story about how that character hangs out at Dennys asking the waitresses deeply personal questions

I know im incredibly late, but I loved this. just reading this i can already think of 4 or 5 songs i could get off this and ive had a terrible writers block for the past 2 months since i started recording my ep. thats such an awesome, helpful and funny suggestion

• Members

If I want to write a song and can't figure out where to start or have
a mind block, I get out my bible and read the book of Psalms. Almost
every chapter in that book is a song written in lyrics. That's where I
usualy get my inspiration from. King David's psalms.
judy tooley

• Members

This may sound a little strange, but sometimes if I get stuck, I do a variation of mad libs. You know, ask someone for a random adjective or verb, ask someone else for a noun. A lot of times you'll end up with crap, but every once in a while it can lead to a phrase which will invoke some image relevent to the song, and get the creative juices flowing again.

• Members

This may sound a little strange, but sometimes if I get stuck, I do a variation of mad libs. You know, ask someone for a random adjective or verb, ask someone else for a noun. A lot of times you'll end up with crap, but every once in a while it can lead to a phrase which will invoke some image relevent to the song, and get the creative juices flowing again.

That actually sort of describes how I work with rhyme schemes.

I find the filter of what can possibly be coerced into rhyming (half-rhyming, kinda-vaguely-rhyming, I'm easy) actually can help push the song forward -- because it limits the possibilties.

When I first decided to try using rhyming in my songs (like, about the 3rd song I wrote, back making the transition from college egghead/hippie poet to folkie/someday rocker dude), I checked out a rhyming dictionary from the library and did the forced-rhyming (Subterranean Blues-stylie) thing. I renewed the book but had to finally return it to the library.

But by then I figured I could just 'run the alphabet' looking for rhymes. And I did that consciously for quite a while when nothing jumped out at me.

But -- after writing a whole bunch of songs -- the rhyming thing became almost second nature. I'll still do a "forced search" for a rhyme (running the alphabet, IOW) every once in a great while (and I even used the freeware Verse Perfect 'verse processor' a couple times... I thought it worked well... if I was starting out, I'd probably use it all the time).

• Members

Keep writing. Write it all down. Keep putting ideas to paper. One day, you will realize that you have some great stuff. It's just piecing it together at that point. I find that I write all sorts of lines and ideas for a song. I go through and try to organize it later.

Scott

• Members

I just wait for inspiration to come to me. I went through a phase where I was writing a new song (sometimes two) everyday. Some were great, some were not. But there they were. And then suddenly, it stopped. No inspiration, couldn't write anything. And then one day, I went back to writing everyday. Now I'm back to an uncreative cycle, so I just have to wait I guess.

Archived