2x12 cab recommendations

Fagmotron 3000

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A few months back I was looking for a Closed Back 2x12 cabinet for my Peavey Triple XXX.

My price range was $350-$400.

I ended up trying and liking the Mesa Boogie Rectifier cabinet ($699 new) and the Orange for $639.

At that point I decided to try to find a used Mesa cabinet for under $450, but there were none to be found.

A fairly local guy and forum member had a used Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 for sale for $350, so I took a chance without trying it. I actually like it best out of all three.

The Genz Benz is GREAT!:thu:

If you can find a used Genz Benz or Mesa Rectifier cab for your price range go for it.

I tried a Marshall 2x12 (a cheap one new for $329), it sucked compared to the others.

Howard

• Members

The Traditional is a lot thinner, and some people tend to think it makes it sound "woofy", but I don't seem to have that issue

Do you mean the wood is thinner, or the overall dimentions of the cab are smaller?

Yeah, that Genz Benz thing looks pretty dopesauce, but I don't want to wait around to find a deal and then have to bid on it and deal with the shennanigans on eGay. That site makes me want to rip the eyelids off of people, plus I haven't done much business on there so I have no feedback. If someone on here wanted to dump off a Genz Benz near my price range, I'd buy it.

• Members

If you can find a G-Flex in your price range, get it. They are awesome, and worth a shot! I am NEVER selling mine.

The G-Flex comes with speakers that are like V30's. They made 'em a bit differently than normal V30's cause that George Lynch guy kept tearing the Celestions... But I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER torn a speaker and I have tried all different kinds.

I want a contemp. avatar cab.... But I am thinking bout just getting a G-Flex 4x12 instead :)

The bad-assness will be monumental.

Edit:
Oh yeah. I am not sure how it would sound with the stealth, but if you ever get a higher gain head I reccommend EVM12L speakers for this cab. I think these really bring a cab like this into its full potential. Not really worth it for anything under 100 watts though, IMO. It would be TOO clean.

• Members

Build your own {censored}ing cab.

God gave you testes, right?

You know it's funny because I am actually thinking about it now after seeing that the Basson cabs are made out of MDF. I didn't know how an MDF cab would sound, but apparently it works well. I used to make speaker cabs for cars when I had the bass bug years ago. I could probably build a nice 2x12 with a couple hella tones for around $250, but it would be a pain in the ass, and I'd rather just spend the extra $120 and have it done.

Archived