School me: Marshall 1987 MkII vs JCM 800?

EvilMeow

• Members

Hey, everyone! I always get sort of confused when it comes to the Marshall models that fell between the late 70s and the early 80s. I know there are a few models that are very close, and some that are almost exactly the same.

How does the 50w 1987 MkII measure up against a 2204? Are they fairly close in sound, or is the 1987 closer to a Superlead in sound?

• Members

http://marshall.redpt.com/clay/mv_marshall_circuits.html

Master Lead Marshall Circuits - MV Models 2203,2204,...

This describes the circuitry of master volume Marshalls. It shows most of the major components and describes the circuits used in the 2203 (100w) and 2204 (50w) models. Starting in 1975, Marshall decided to create new master volume models to add more gain to their product lines in response for more demand for hard rock and metal type tones.

Similarities to non-MV Models 1987,1959

The 2203/2204 MV models are very similar to the 1987/1959 non-MV models. They share the same type and number of tubes. The main difference is where the non-MV models have 4-inputs and two separate channels. The MV models only have 1 channel with high and low sensitivity inputs. Basically, they took the 2nd channel from the non-MV model and added it as an extra gain stage. There is a mod to the older non-MV amps, called the One-wire Mod, that cascades the two input channels, similar to the Master Lead amps.

• Members

This describes the circuitry of master volume Marshalls. It shows most of the major components and describes the circuits used in the 2203 (100w) and 2204 (50w) models. Starting in 1975, Marshall decided to create new master volume models to add more gain to their product lines in response for more demand for hard rock and metal type tones.

The 2203/2204 MV models are very similar to the 1987/1959 non-MV models. They share the same type and number of tubes. The main difference is where the non-MV models have 4-inputs and two separate channels. The MV models only have 1 channel with high and low sensitivity inputs. Basically, they took the 2nd channel from the non-MV model and added it as an extra gain stage. There is a mod to the older non-MV amps, called the One-wire Mod, that cascades the two input channels, similar to the Master Lead amps.

that's what i thought

and the 87 is the 1959s little brother

same idea smaller package

but each has there own flavor

• Members

Of course! Good ol' Clay Finley and his awesome webpage (and a cool dude, from the few times I've met him. TONS of cool Marshalls)! I should have checked there!

Man, I'm stoked about getting this amp, now. What a great piece of equipment. It's basically exactly what I was looking for.

Archived