Awesome cheap mic for guitar cabs, AKG D40.

kdp86

• Members

I just came across a new mic that is killer on guitar cabs in my search for affordable multi-purpose mics for live and recording. My band is recording a new EP, and we will be using this along with the Cascade Fathead ribbon mic (ridiculously close sounding to the Royer R-121 for like $180) for all of the guitar tones. It's the AKG D40. It's my hands down favorite dynamic mic I've used between all that I've owned (Shure SM57, Audix i5, Sennheiser e609 and e906). I'm told it sounds very close to the Sennheiser MD421, which I've always wanted to try also, but is a little out of my price range at about $360. They're a steal at $99, and are supposedly great for micing toms too. We'll see, I'm sure we're going to use it on the floor tom for the cd. It's a very warm and present mic, though it definitely has that midrange crunch of a dynamic mic. The Fathead on the other hand is really smooth, almost too much so, so we're going to do a mix of the two to capture the amps as best as possible. Placement isn't nearly as picky as the SM57 or i5 since it's a larger diaphragm, similar to the sennheisers, but I think it has a more full range sound than the ones I've used. It's built like a tank too, so I'll be using it live for sure. Here's a link to check it out... http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1060,pid,1060,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

• Members

Come on guys, you should care about this! I just recently started investing in good mics, especially live mics, it makes a huge difference. If you are wondering why your tone is so good, yet you get so few compliments about it live, it's because you spend THOUSANDS of dollars and hours on your rig, and then some asshat soundguy shoves a single SM57 in front of it and calls it a day. Not for me, I prefer something with a larger diaphragm if I'm only going to use one mic, plus as good as 57s can sound, they are picky as hell to place. I'm sure no one cares, but you should.

• Members

thanks for the PRO TIPZ.

i haven't tried the d40 you mentioned, but will have to check it out. i've got the 57,i5, and e609. i like them all for different things. one mic on my list is the beyerdynamic m160 ribbon mic.also want to check out the fat heads!

post some raw clips if you can!!!

Archived