embarrassed songwriter.

Bryer M.

• Members

I have the same problem. Only it takes me a year or so--rather than just a couple of days--for me to start thinking my songs suck. Usually, I start out thinking a song is quite good when I first write it. Then after significant time has passed, I hear all the flaws and get embarrased that I ever showed it to anyone. For all I know, the stuff I'm currently working on may be something I'll want to disown a year from now. That thought is kinda depressing.

On one hand, maybe that shows I'm progressing as a writer. On the other hand, my dream is to one day have a catalog of songs I'll be proud of for years to come. So far that hasn't happened. I'm lucky if I can even find ten songs of mine at the moment that I still think are OK.

So yeah, I feel for ya.

• Members
that's a good point... I find a lot of pop cheesey. Stuff like avril lavigne but chances are she doesn't write her own music. But some people I know think it's great...

Avril Lavigne is especially cheezy because she's a prepackaged artist, as are a lot of the artists and bands you hear on the radio. That doesn't meant it's bad -- there's a market for it, people enjoy it -- and sometimes a fake, prepackaged 'artist' transcends his/her/their cheezy roots. The Monkees, famously, were a cattle call band. Peter, Paul and Mary were put together in a very calculated way to capitalize on the then-blossoming folk music boom of the early 60s -- yet I was just listening to one of their bigger albums (Album 1700) earlier today and, I gotta tell you, it's got some fine singing, playing and writing on it. (And much of the writing was theirs in part or whole, surprising some in the industry.) The Phil Ramone engineering is really clean, working under a handful of producers with Big Al Grossman on top (a crushing presence he no doubt was. ;) )

Archived