Concerned about my Cobra.

breakingstring

• Members

I've bought a Framus Cobra a few weeks ago from a guitar shop secondhand. It looks a little beat up, but it was killer deal. It came with a Dragon cab.

There's a couple of things I'm concerned about, but it could be my paranoia.

1) The power LED seems to vary it's illumination from brighton to quite dull. If I turn it off and then back, it glows a little brighter and then fades sometimes.

2) The clean channel seems to have quite low headroom. This is at bedroom levels. Haven't had the chance to drag it out of here yet. It helps if I use a single coil guitar, but I didn't expect to get any breakup from this channel.

Also, I'm a bit confused about which OHM setting I should have the head set to running into this cab and about the mono/stereo setting switch (this is my first head & cab rig.

Should I be worried?

• Members

about the cab issue, the cobra is a mono amp so switch your cab to mono and connect it to a speaker jack on the cobra. the dragon cab should be either 8 or 16 ohms mono, just look at the jackplate on the cab what it says for mono and then set the ohms selector on the cobra to that value.

about the other issues i 2nd what NixerX said. get some new tubes and check your power. in no case the cobra lacks clean headroom. i can get mine to earsplitting volumes without it breaking up and that is with emg pickups.

Archived