Tiny Terror vs Rebel 20

surfcat

• Members

Anyone played both? I've played the Orange and really liked it-does the Rebel get that sound pretty much or is it a lot different on the EL84 side? It's cool that it has the blend with the 6v6's and feature-wise, the Egnater is better, but how's it sound in coparison? Are they both good with overdrive pedals?

• Members

I own both, so I guess I have some useful info.

I really really like the distortion on the TT, it's fuzzy and dark sounding. The rebel does more of a marshall crunch / jcm 800 thing which I also love. Neither really sounds like the other, but I can get the Rebel cleans to easily cop the TT cleans by flipping off the bright switch and using the el84 section. IMO, the rebel has a better light/medium gain sound and the cleans are insanely better than the TT.

I got the rebel for the effects loop and additional tonal options, and it definitely wins in that department. Being able to use effects with amp distortion makes it the clear winner for me, and the cleans are my favorite improvement.

With the TT, you have to run all effects in front. It takes fuzzes and overdrives well when it is clean but I had a hard time using any kind of effects with the amp overdriven (delay in front sounds horrible with a touch sensitive amp, fuzzes and dirty overdrive sounded pretty bad to me too). Using overdrive is fine when the TT is slightly breaking up, but I pretty much kept the amp clean all the time so my delay and modulation would sound better.

For the TT, I use an avatar premier 2x12 with a v30 and a g12h30
For the Rebel, I tried it on the same cab but it sounded harsher than it did in the store so I bought the Egnater 1x12 to go with it and it sounds much better.

• Members

TT all the way betweeen those two..

+1 I own the Tiny Terror and have played on the Rebel. The Rebel has good stuff and it sounds good but it just wasn't for me. My TT has three knobs (I know religious types aren't too comfortable with anything that has three knobs on it) so it takes two seconds to get down to rocking.

• Members

I wish somebody had both of these in stock for a side by side. I guess I'll have to try GC and get lucky finding them in stock for the Rebel. I need to find out more about that Bad Cat too, but I'm guessing it's not in the same ballpark pricewise.

• Members

I wish somebody had both of these in stock for a side by side. I guess I'll have to try GC and get lucky finding them in stock for the Rebel. I need to find out more about that Bad Cat too, but I'm guessing it's not in the same ballpark pricewise.

Hey, I think it really depends on what you plan to play on it and what kind of gear you have.

If you use a lot of effects or you use a lot of clean tones and like more a chimey (Think AC30) clean, go with the Rebel. Also the best choice if you prefer marshall over orange tones. The tube blend thing is cool, but doesn't have a huge impact on your sound.

If you want something that is bare bones badass rock, get the TT, but don't expect to be shaping your tone or using amp distortion with your effects.

The Bad Cat is $1500 btw

• Members

i have one for sale...:poke:

Archived