Guitar Center or Music Go Round for selling used gear?

andy43

• Members

I've got a Marshall cab that no one seems to be willing to pay shipping for, so I'm being forced to sell it locally. I've tried craigslist, but no offers. How do GC and Music Go Round compare for selling used gear? I'm trying to get the most out of it as possible, and I've had some bad experiences selling used gear at muisc stores (low offers). Anyone have a decent (or indecent) experience they'd like to share?

• Members

I got a good deal on an amp over craigslist.

If they seem legit and know what they're talking about its probably a good person to deal with.

I've sold things at Music Go Round and they usually give you decent prices. They'd probably lowball you for a used Les Paul for 900 or 1000 tops. But lower priced stuff like amps you can expect to get maybe 150 bucks for something that you bought for 4 or 5 hundred new.

• Members

As others have mentioned, those stores will give you crap for your gear. I once took an amp there to see what they would give me for it. It was a 65watt Marshall Valvestate with an expensive upgraded Celestion speaker. The jerk there tried to tell me it was worth less because it wasn't the original speaker. I told him that it wasn't some vintage amp from the 50's or something where the original speaker would be important, but that it was worth more because of the upgrade. They offered me around $50 for the amp which was less than what the speaker alone was worth. I'll never try to sell something at Guitar Center.

Archived