Voodoo V-Rock opinions

Pete

• Members

Well, I have had my VRock for 5 or 6 months and had a 101b for ~3 years and a new one set to show up on Thursday....Can`t really go wrong with either. They are different ends of the same spectrum if that makes sense. What specifically do you want to know?

• Members

Which amp cops a better 80's tone? (ratt, queensryche, lynch..etc) Also how does the plexi mode on the 101b compare to lower gain settings on the v-rock? How's the clean compare on both? Thanks.

Lets see...Well, I will be 100% up front in saying those are not really the tones I am after, but....Both are good for it. I mean, they are both derivatives of a Jose style modded Marshall, but the are in which they really differ is in feel, especially in the case of the low end response. The Vrock is far more open and less compressed than the xtc, and so it doesn`t have the typical sponge/sag to the bottom end that the xtc has. My Vrock has the full option list (but is the single channel version), so I have the brootal/rock switch plus the boost switch that is functional on both modes. With the boost engaged, the Vrock is closer to the xtc in terms of compression, but still is far more immediate in its response. Some of this is also attributed to the kt77s in my Vrock, and things will change with EL34s. Slaving the Vrock into my Uberschall resulted in some very xtc like tones and feel, going back to the obvious interplay of the power amp.

Now, the plexi mode on the xtc versus lower gain settings (boost off, rock mode) is not really a fair comparison. I love the plexi mode on the xtc, but it really is not in the same ballpark as the glassy breakup that is in the Vrock. The xtc is a little rounder in that area. On the other hand, I love the clean channel on the xtc for fendery type stuff. My Vrock is the single channel version, so I don`t have the clean channel. I have played the clean channel that is on the Vrock before (I lived ~2 minutes from Voodoo Amps when I lived in Ithaca), and its cool too. But, I think if I had to choose on clean, I would probably go xtc.

Overall, they are probably my two favorite amps I have owned (including Wizard modern Classic, Cameron modded marshall, Uber, Herbert, splawn quickrod, Makoplex and Mak2-black...). They really are two sides of the same spectrum and you can`t go wrong with either. The Vrock takes boosts like a {censored}ing champ and is an incredibly raw, and clear high gain plexi style amp. Not many amps can rival the clarity of the Vrock. The xtc, on the other hand, is just so damn easy and fun to play. I really love the sag on it, it really feels like you are digging in beyond the fretboard at times (no other good way to describe it). Its also damn tough to beat all of the flexibility in the XTC. So many different sounds available at your feet, and all of them are good.

The Vrock is also a little more picky about preamp tubes, and what you have in V1 can make a huge difference. If you grab a single channel Vrock, I highly suggest getting a boost for it for more versatility at your feet.

Any thing else I can try to clarify?

• Members

Lets see...Well, I will be 100% up front in saying those are not really the tones I am after, but....Both are good for it. I mean, they are both derivatives of a Jose style modded Marshall, but the are in which they really differ is in feel, especially in the case of the low end response. The Vrock is far more open and less compressed than the xtc, and so it doesn`t have the typical sponge/sag to the bottom end that the xtc has. My Vrock has the full option list (but is the single channel version), so I have the brootal/rock switch plus the boost switch that is functional on both modes. With the boost engaged, the Vrock is closer to the xtc in terms of compression, but still is far more immediate in its response. Some of this is also attributed to the kt77s in my Vrock, and things will change with EL34s. Slaving the Vrock into my Uberschall resulted in some very xtc like tones and feel, going back to the obvious interplay of the power amp.

Now, the plexi mode on the xtc versus lower gain settings (boost off, rock mode) is not really a fair comparison. I love the plexi mode on the xtc, but it really is not in the same ballpark as the glassy breakup that is in the Vrock. The xtc is a little rounder in that area. On the other hand, I love the clean channel on the xtc for fendery type stuff. My Vrock is the single channel version, so I don`t have the clean channel. I have played the clean channel that is on the Vrock before (I lived ~2 minutes from Voodoo Amps when I lived in Ithaca), and its cool too. But, I think if I had to choose on clean, I would probably go xtc.

Overall, they are probably my two favorite amps I have owned (including Wizard modern Classic, Cameron modded marshall, Uber, Herbert, splawn quickrod, Makoplex and Mak2-black...). They really are two sides of the same spectrum and you can`t go wrong with either. The Vrock takes boosts like a {censored}ing champ and is an incredibly raw, and clear high gain plexi style amp. Not many amps can rival the clarity of the Vrock. The xtc, on the other hand, is just so damn easy and fun to play. I really love the sag on it, it really feels like you are digging in beyond the fretboard at times (no other good way to describe it). Its also damn tough to beat all of the flexibility in the XTC. So many different sounds available at your feet, and all of them are good.

The Vrock is also a little more picky about preamp tubes, and what you have in V1 can make a huge difference. If you grab a single channel Vrock, I highly suggest getting a boost for it for more versatility at your feet.

Any thing else I can try to clarify?

Thanks for the info sounds like either would be a good choice, hopefully I can find both amps to try out.

• Members

I own a 50wt V-Rock, but have only noodled on the Bogner at GC for about 10 minutes. As such, I really cannot make a good comparison of the two, but I can make some comments on GYBE!'s comments...

The Vrock is far more open and less compressed than the xtc, and so it doesn`t have the typical sponge/sag to the bottom end that the xtc has.

Indeed. The sound is really tight, and while there is a ton of gain and sustain there, the lack-of-compression really articulates what you're doing. It's not an amp you can hide your playing flaws behind. Eithat that kind of articulation is your thing, or it isn't.

I love the plexi mode on the xtc, but it really is not in the same ballpark as the glassy breakup that is in the Vrock.

I love how big n barky the V-Rock is in low-gain mode. Reminds me of some of the best JCM 800s I've heard from the early 80s. Very Marshallesque, but with a broader tonal spectrum.

The Vrock takes boosts like a {censored}ing champ and is an incredibly raw, and clear high gain plexi style amp. Not many amps can rival the clarity of the Vrock.

The Vrock is also a little more picky about preamp tubes, and what you have in V1 can make a huge difference.

This.

• Members

Thanks for the info sounds like either would be a good choice, hopefully I can find both amps to try out.

You really can`t go wrong with either, and I think it comes down more to a preference of feel. Shoot me a line if you have any other questions

Archived