is the L6 spider valve 112 the best practise amp atm?

thulsa_doom2

• Members

for someone who lives in a tiny apartment? my style is metal (deathcore, metalcore *sigh, classic metal- maiden, priest etc) , so i play a lot of high gain stuff, though some clean stuff also from time to time. i am looking to get a practise amp for christmas, and i recently tried out a 112 spider valve and was really impressed with the sounds that came out of it. in terms of price to features, is there a better amp on the market? if u guys recommend some ill go check them out as well.

btw my budget is under 800

• Members

Do you have to have an amp?

The reason I ask is becuase of all of the smaller, headphone devices available these days. For example, just look at all of the Line6 Pod choices. At low volumes, which is also how I have to play these days, I prefer headphones, but that's just me.

As for an amp recommendation, I have a Peavy Vypyr 75 and love it. I don't hear the "whine" that others have commented on and it sounds great at whisper volumes, thru headphones, or gig volumes.

If you really want tubes, the Vypyr tube models should be out soon. If I was set on the Tube modeller, I wait for the Vypyr model so I could compare it against the Spider Valve.

Happy amp hunting. :wave:

• Members

thnx guys. so the vypr is another strong option. how good are the cleans on the vypr, and can it handle alot of high gain based music like the 'cores"? thnx,

as for my current amp its been a crappy little spider 2 all this time, but it's time to upgrade. i'd like to just get a 5150 combo and boost it, but the neighbors might raise hell. or get an old school mesa mark 2/4 combos but those are extremely rare/pricey.

Archived