Tube Amp Help

CraigOrn

• Members

Alright, I hate to come on here looking for help when I haven't posted in nearly two years, but I've just gotten back into playing hardcore and picked up a Crate V50 tube amp, something I've always wanted. I haven't had too much time to play with it given work, but I've been going strong today. However, about an hour ago I turned the amp on, doodled a little bit, then all of a sudden the amp started making a loud clicking noise. I looked and the power light was flashing on and off and the speaker was moving back and forth. What the heck is going on? I don't know too much about electronics and tubes, but any help would be appreciated.

• Members

I'd start off by swapping out the tubes just because that's the easiest thing to do.

How fast is the light turning on and off? And does it happen with the amp in standy by?

If it's happening in stand by, it could be a tube with a bad heater filament or the PT is bad. If it's no different after replacing the tubes, I'd double check the voltages of the PT disconnected from the rest of the circuit.

Archived