So I just got my first 7 string guitar and...

mercutioburns

• Members

I'm really surprised at how hard it is to play on the low b string. It's an Ibanez RG7321 with a pickguard , stock pickups and locking tuners. The action is decent, not as low as close-to-the-frets-without-buzz but still low enough. I didn't think the ernie ball power slinkys would be tough to use (as that's what the guy included in the case), since i used to use zakk wylde boomers with a 60 gauge low e played in standard. The b string was a 58 gauge tuned to b but it was just insanely hard to play. So I switched it out with a spare 52 gauge string. But I find myself really having to squeeze down hard to get it to sound, and even then it doesn't sound too great. And currently I play with a 53 gauge low e for my jackson. I'm not much of a drop tuner of more that half step down, maybe drop to A to mess around. Is it just a 7 string thing that I have to get used to or do I need to get a much lighter set of strings? If so, any recommendations as to what gauge?

Thanks!

and here are some pics:

RG7321case.jpg

RG7321.jpg

• Members

Hey man, I'm your seller :wave: It's really hard to get into the groove of the 27'' scale at first, try dropping to A until you get a little more acclimated with the feel of the heavier string, then tuning up.

If you want, you can check out www.sevenstring.org

Forum dedicated to sevenstrings and getting used to them, killer guys with a lot of info and help for newbs of the 7-string realms.

• Members

Hahaha, didn't think you'd be on here. Yeah man, I slapped on those power slinkys and I was just like holy crap, hard to chug on this. Course I only got to play with it once before I had to go study for finals. But yeah man, it looks effin' great. A real beauty once it was in my hands lol.

• Members
Hey man, I'm your seller
:wave:
It's really hard to get into the groove of the 27'' scale at first, try dropping to A until you get a little more acclimated with the feel of the heavier string, then tuning up.

If you want, you can check out
www.sevenstring.org

Forum dedicated to sevenstrings and getting used to them, killer guys with a lot of info and help for newbs of the 7-string realms.

The RG7321 is 27" scale? :confused:
I don't really think you should be having that kind of problem. Adjusting to there now being another string, yes... but i don't find it any harder to fret the low b on any of my 7s. I use 59s for my Bs, and it's just like fretting on coz other string really. :confused:

• Members

Hahaha, didn't think you'd be on here. Yeah man, I slapped on those power slinkys and I was just like holy crap, hard to chug on this. Course I only got to play with it once before I had to go study for finals. But yeah man, it looks effin' great. A real beauty once it was in my hands lol.

I'm glad you like it!! but I really wonder why it feels so hard to play, I mean I've played 11s all of my guitar career, and I noticed no different playability in the sevens.. that's interesting..

• Members

I thought it was 25.5"?

Anyway, it just takes getting used to. No worries, just play around with it and sooner or later it'll feel natural to you. There's a bit of adjustment, mostly for me it was figuring out how to not get the 7th string to ring out all of the time. But anyway, s'all good.

Beautiful guitar by the way. :thu:

Archived