Building a recording desktop, how does it look?

mparsons

• Members

Well I have grown out of my laptop. It's having a hard time handling the recording I'm doing and it certainly won't like it when I upgrade from GPO to EWQLSO... Plus its lagging, popping, and clicking as is, even with max latency settings.

It's time to upgrade!

So I've specced this desktop out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811226020

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136199

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236050

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104038

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.144756

Right in my budget. Am I missing anything?

• Members

You want this hard drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074

For one thing, it's one of the quietest HDDs you can get, and it's also one of the fastest. It's just one 320GB platter.

Faster RAM is dumb. Don't fall for that trap. They increase the price, but give you nothing for it. Almost all DDR2 is pretty much the same thing. If you REALLY want to run the clock speed higher, then just do it manually. But in reality, it doesn't mean jack crap. I'd just save the money and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134730

I don't know about that power supply, but it doesn't appear to be anything special, and it only has a 1 year warranty. That's BS. Be pickier. Power supplies can and do die. Don't look at total power ratings. They're often inflated. Look at the amp ratings on the 12v rails, as that's what powers all the demanding components. You barely need anything for that system, anyways. And don't pay attention to the PCIe power connectors, if that's why you picked that. You can just use an adapter. Whoopdeefreakinda. These are nice (SeaSonic makes OEM power supplies for companies that sell higher end stuff), have a 5 year warranty, and the same 12v rail rating:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151035

790GX boards are nice, but normally, Newegg has pretty significant combos on them with ALL AMD CPUs. I imagine they did away with that for the moment because it's Christmas, and they're going to sell like crazy, anyways. You might wait a bit and see how much better of a deal you can get, as it's usually more like $40 off, with your choice of CPU.

They also have the Phenom based dual cores coming right now, which are a bit faster, but cost the same, so unless you literally need this right this second, I don't think there's a reason to bite right now.

• Members

He said he's on a budget and didn't even go with a 320GB drive to start with. Massive amounts of space isn't a concern to everyone. 320GB is a lot to me. The 640GB version of that drive is also very quiet and "only" costs $20 more, but it's $20, and I'm not sure I'd EVER use it. Heck, I've been using a 115GB drive for the last 4 years.

More space means more platters, which means more noise, and more $$$.

Besides, it won't be long, and you'll probably be able to buy a dead silent 120GB+ solid state drive for $50 that kills the speed of any normal HDD, and you'll get some extra space on top of that.

• Members

He said he's on a budget and didn't even go with a 320GB drive to start with. Massive amounts of space isn't a concern to everyone. 320GB is a lot to me. The 640GB version of that drive is also very quiet and "only" costs $20 more, but it's $20, and I'm not sure I'd EVER use it. Heck, I've been using a 115GB drive for the last 4 years.

More space means more platters, which means more noise, and more $$$.

Besides, it won't be long, and you'll probably be able to buy a 120GB+ solid state drive for $50 that kills the speed of any normal HDD, and you'll get some extra space on top of that.

you sir.....

are a wise man :thu: never thought of the sound factor.

• Members

Thanks Herald! That is some great information. I've already got a 1TB external hard drive, and I'm running 160GB on my laptop now with plenty of room. I can probably swing for two of those drives you mentioned... Especially if Newegg runs some better deals after Christmas.

I do plan on waiting after the holidays to get the best deal ( and also let new technology drop old tech prices ), but I'm scoping out my options and doing research/advice acquiring.

• Members

Besides, it won't be long, and you'll probably be able to buy a dead silent 120GB+ solid state drive for $50 that kills the speed of any normal HDD, and you'll get some extra space on top of that.

they sure as {censored} are not coming fast enough.. thats my only complaint.

• Members

MOAR HDD SPACE!!

1 terabyte is cheap as hell. just buy more than you think you can ever use and be done with it.

+1.

Also, get two physical disks (or a fast external drive) so that you can easily backup important files (like your recordings!) Hard disks can and do die on you, data is never safe unless it's in two places.

• Members

There are new Phenom dual cores and then Phenom II quad cores which will be out in January. I can guarantee you there will be crazy combo deals with 790GX motherboards when that happens.

There will also be the Intel E5300. The E5200 is faster and more power efficient than all AMD dual cores, and the E5300 will be significantly better on top of that, but you can't really pair it with something like a 790GX board, as Intel's integrated graphics completely blow, and they make all their cheap motherboards out of ancient parts that burn power for no good reason.

And there MAY be new Celerons, which will be cheaper. That, I would strongly consider, but that's a big if.

In reality, basically any currently manufactured dual core is now overkill for 99% of people, so it's nothing to worry about. Just another option to keep open.

they sure as {censored} are not coming fast enough.. thats my only complaint.

The prices have gone down like crazy. All I'm waiting for now is someone to make one that doesn't have a borked controller at those same prices, unlike the insanely expensive Intel drives. All cheapo SSDs use Samsung chips with the same Jmicron controllers, but they all have issues. Everyone CLAIMS they acknowledge this and are making new ones to address it, but we'll just have to wait and see if the cost remains the same.

SSDs are still in their infancy, but only over the last few months, the prices went from over $1,000 to $200 or so for the same sort of drive, and they still haven't moved to the really good and cheaper to manufacture ones.

• Members

get the 640, you will use 320. there is also durability issues, recording hds take alot of thrash. and a larger capacity hd will generate less heat and noise due to more areal density requiring less mechanical movement. you want to get a low rotation speed high capacity drive

• Members

Matt, any idea how much this one that you've spec'd out will cost? I am also looking for the same thing. It seems like most of the purpose built recording computers come with two harddrives - one for programs and OS and the other to write to. Please keep us posted on what you chose.

• Members

Matt, any idea how much this one that you've spec'd out will cost? I am also looking for the same thing. It seems like most of the purpose built recording computers come with two harddrives - one for programs and OS and the other to write to. Please keep us posted on what you chose.

The one in my original post was around $600 shipped, and that's with the 22" monitor. If you don't need that, it goes down to $400 or so.

That said I'm being convinced to get a more powerful system :lol: So I'll probably spend upwards of $5-600 before screen.

• Members

The one in my original post was around $600 shipped, and that's with the 22" monitor. If you don't need that, it goes down to $400 or so.

That said I'm being convinced to get a more powerful system
:lol:
So I'll probably spend upwards of $5-600 before screen.

I made this a few weeks ago:

fghjdghjdgjhfghj.jpg

• Members

That said I'm being convinced to get a more powerful system
:lol:
So I'll probably spend upwards of $5-600 before screen.

If it is a recording computer the only areas for upgrades really are the CPU and hard drive space.

When it is all finished you MAY not be happy with the monitor, you might want to go with a 24" 1920x1200 resolution, they are cheap now, I think under $300.

• Members

If it is a recording computer the only areas for upgrades really are the CPU and hard drive space.

When it is all finished you MAY not be happy with the monitor, you might want to go with a 24" 1920x1200 resolution, they are cheap now, I think under $300.

They are cheap, but they're retarded huge. For me, the edges sit in my peripheral vision, which drives me nuts.

What I would get for a higher resolution is a newer 22" or 21.5" that is 16:9 and 1920x1080. There are a lot of those coming out.

But he's using integrated graphics in this case, so that resolution could be hard on the motherboard's GPU if he ends up using it for anything remotely demanding. Of course, you can just turn it down, but why spend more for a higher native resolution that you aren't going to be able to use?

• Members

Why? I can guarantee you that what you've already got is probably never going to be put to its peak potential within that computer's lifetime, if you're really just recording with it.

Don't waste money on slightly faster, but much more expensive parts right now. The nice thing about what you picked out is that it's very reasonably priced and sufficient for what you would be using a computer for right now, but it has a lot of upgrade potential, as Phenom IIs will still plug into 790GX boards, and you can add up to two more graphics cards, or an SSD or whatever PCIe slots may end up being used for. You can always just buy a $100 quad core down the road, in the incredibly unlikely event it becomes necessary.

But he's using integrated graphics in this case, so that resolution could be hard on the motherboard's GPU if he ends up using it for anything remotely demanding. Of course, you can just turn it down, but why spend more for a higher native resolution that you aren't going to be able to use?

You are beyond helpful :D I really appreciate the advice.

Archived