Those who have played the RG and S prestiges, I has questions about the necks

JnBroadbent

• Members

This is for my other guitarist.

Played one of those 770's today and it was pretty pimp, I was impressed by it. First Ibanez that played well... then we played some non-prestige S series gutiars and they sucked dick. The necks were awkward as {censored}

Anyways, he really wants a new S547 prestige but after today he's not sure but doesn't give on the RG body shape.

So how different are the S and RG prestige necks? Some guy said they are two different animals. :confused:

• Members

The neck on my S1520 is pretty damn thin, whereas the neck on my RGT220 is thicker. I actually prefer the Prestige S neck because it is so thin.

For me it was exact oppisite.

I've had a RG 560 since around 89 or 90 I think. Very thin neck nice action.

The S Prestige I use to have had a thicker neck and had the lowest action of any guitar I've ever owned.

• Members

I thought they phased out the Wizard I? Not sure on that, but if that's the case, then you'd be better off looking for some late90's early 00s era Prestiges.

I just did some searching and I've found someone mentioning that the current Prestige Wizard is slightly thicker than the old Wizard I (which I think is what you played).

I've got an RG520 (it would be a Prestige model in the current lineup) and it's got the old Wizard I and I think it's {censored}ing fantastic.

Edit: I just now realized they re-released the 770 models, I had assumed this was one of the older originals. Nevermind. :)

• Members
I thought they phased out the Wizard I? Not sure on that, but if that's the case, then you'd be better off looking for some late90's early 00s era Prestiges.

I just did some searching and I've found someone mentioning that the current Prestige Wizard is slightly thicker than the old Wizard I (which I think is what you played).

I've got an RG520 (it would be a Prestige model in the current lineup) and it's got the old Wizard I and I think it's {censored}ing fantastic.

Edit: I just now realized they re-released the 770 models, I had assumed this was one of the older originals. Nevermind.
:)

The 770 has the original 1987 Wizard Prestige neck on it.

I would tottally {censored}ing buy it but the neck joint was weak.

• Members

The 770 has the original 1987 Wizard Prestige neck on it.

I would tottally {censored}ing buy it but the neck joint was weak.

While the neck joint can be problematic, my 1989 RG550 has lasted for years with a hairline crack in it and it didn't have any detrimental effect to tuning stability or anything. With better pickups it's still the best superstrat I've tried.

The neck is a {censored}in' toothpick though. Really skinny. I prefer meatier necks to be honest but it's great for those blazing solos.

• Members

While the neck joint can be problematic, my 1989 RG550 has lasted for years with a hairline crack in it and it didn't have any detrimental effect to tuning stability or anything. With better pickups it's still the best superstrat I've tried.

The neck is a {censored}in' toothpick though. Really skinny. I prefer meatier necks to be honest but it's great for those blazing solos.

The modern ibanez neck joints rule though.

The neck might have been too flat (430mm/17inches) Felt much flatter then my RR (16inches)

Archived