Need a DARK high-gain amp

tacoshow

• Members

Something is wrong here. I suggest you stop going through so many amps and start trying some different cabs..........something sturdy, deep, and rear loaded like Orange or Mesa cabs would be a good place to start.

Yeah, at a certain point you've gotta be doing something wrong, outside of the amps.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something is wrong here. I suggest you stop going through so many amps and start trying some different cabs..........something sturdy, deep, and rear loaded like Orange or Mesa cabs would be a good place to start.

See earlier in thread where I said my cab was Mesa recto standard w/ V30's

• Members

See earlier in thread where I said my cab was Mesa recto standard w/ V30's

Maybe try some new ears then:thu:

Seriously though, I don't like bright amps either. And I've owned some of those amps (bias modded 6505, Fireball, JVM to name a few). I've since gone away from using graphic EQ's, but try getting an MXR 10 band EQ and stick it in the loop. From my experience, much of the icepick highs in amps are around 8k. The MXR has a slider for that band and taking it down will smooth out the highs at louder volumes.

Plus what kind of guitar/pickups are you using? There are so many other factors besides the amp itself. I don't think that is your problem.

• Members

Hard to believe all the Orange Rocker suggestions 'cuz every clip I've heard sounds grainy and bright. Bogner eh? hmm

I'd like to try a VH4 but it's outta my wallet-range

:o

Go buy a framus dragon and play it with the bass knob and deep knob at 3 o clock :o

It will probably still be a bit too bright for you but it's the closest you're gonna get by the sounds of the tones you seem to want :idea:

• Members

Maybe try some new ears then:thu:

Seriously though, I don't like bright amps either. And I've owned some of those amps (bias modded 6505, Fireball, JVM to name a few). I've since gone away from using graphic EQ's, but try getting an MXR 10 band EQ and stick it in the loop. From my experience, much of the icepick highs in amps are around 8k. The MXR has a slider for that band and taking it down will smooth out the highs at louder volumes.

Plus what kind of guitar/pickups are you using? There are so many other factors besides the amp itself. I don't think that is your problem.

It could indeed be my ears :-) Honestly, all the amps I listed sounded good, it's just that at show levels they get too grating. Yeah, I've debated using an eq but the 10-band mxr I tried once added lots of noise. Should probably try again. Same post where I listed my cab is where I listed the ax - Les Paul w/ BK warpigs.

Maybe I've got some weird sensitivity to higher frequencies or something but it also sounds like the preamp sound disappears at loud levels too. I {censored}ing hate that

• Members
It could indeed be my ears :-) Honestly, all the amps I listed sounded good, it's just that at show levels they get too grating. Yeah, I've debated using an eq but the 10-band mxr I tried once added lots of noise. Should probably try again. Same post where I listed my cab is where I listed the ax - Les Paul w/ BK warpigs.

Maybe I've got some weird sensitivity to higher frequencies or something but it also sounds like the preamp sound disappears at loud levels too. I {censored}ing hate that

Just be careful because too dark can be a bad thing as well. You need a certain amount of top end to cut through the cymbal wash in a live mix imo.

Do you wear earplugs by the way when playing with your band? If not that is a quick way to darken things up and still slice through the mix. :lol:

• Members

I have no problem getting the 6505 to not get bright. Used to I noticed the same thing and it was ear piercing. But after you turn down the presence to about 5 it isn't. If all these amps sound this way to you I think you are just hearing what a high gain tube amp sounds like turned up. It's LOUD man and I guess you could confuse some of the dynamics to be ear piercing. But I really don't think another amp is going to help you. If you tried all of those atleast. I always liked how tube amps sounded that way.

• Members

Theres nothing terribly bright about V30s.

Indeed.

Many people are probably gonna tell him about H30s or GBs which have more highs than a V30.

V30s are actually lacking in highs compared to many speakers IMO.

With my old V30 cab I ran my presence around 10 o clock to 2 o clock.

Now with my greenback cab, my presence pretty much stays under 8 o clock (Zero is like 7 o clock).

Honestly, my old V30 cab which was well broken in was SMOOTHER than the GBs I have now in the top end, I kinda miss them.

• Members

Obviously, the OP has something wrong with his ears or his setup if he can't get any of those amps to be dark enough.

I suggested getting rid of the V30's, because it's probably the spike of the V30's at high volume thats the problem.

I say this because I had to radically change my EQ settings when I switched to V30's to tame the harshness.

• Members

Obviously, the OP has something wrong with his ears or his setup if he can't get any of those amps to be dark enough.

I suggested getting rid of the V30's, because it's probably the spike of the V30's at high volume thats the problem.

I say this because I had to radically change my EQ settings when I switched to V30's to tame the harshness.

Maybe he's not playing with a band, because V30's sit very well in a mix. They can be considered a little harsh due to the high mids when jamming by yourself, but in a mix with another guitar player/rest of the band they do their job very well. But, I still don't think it's a speaker issue here.....

• Members

You have to change your EQ settings when switching from or to pretty much any speakers.

Archived