Another guy with some songs for you to listen too . .

Dee_Eff

• Members

Hey, Dee Eff

I listened to "The Unknown" -- lots of forward momentum, confident production, lots of guitars, nicely played. The overall effect is kind of classic T-Bone Burnett (your edgy tenor kind of reminds me of his voice, and his early 90s signature gated snare verb feeds that impression). I make it practice not to comment on lyrics when they're not posted, because it's so easy to get them wrong. But what I heard sounds fine.

"Let It Go" didn't work quite as well for me. The underlying riff wasn't as appealing to me. And, seems odd, but it sounded like there was a hint of brit accent sneaking into your vocals that I didn't notice in the first one. Not a problem per se (and I have to admit that I listened to so much Bowie and other British singers particularly in the early punk era who sang "British" that I started picking up a bit of an accent at one point in my singing... turnabout's fairplay, one supposes, the Brits "sang American" through most of the 60s and early 70s, in large part, so, hey...)

Anyhow, some accomplished playing and what sounds like solid writing!

Welcome to the Songwriting forum!

• Members

It's funny that you hear an accent in the vocal to "Let it Go". I found that song was hard for me to sing and stay on key, so I was trying different ways of sounding the words. It wasn't intentional, but oh well, so it goes.

I didn't post any lyrics because I type really slow, and I don't think my lyrics are the strong point of my songs, Maybe I should post them. Some friendly criticsim might be to my benifit!

I thank you for listening and giving me your honest opinion!

• Members

I immediately thought of Ian Anderson and co. on 'The Unknown'. Very Jethro Tull to me, and that means I like it. I just kept waiting for the flute to kick in. Agree with B2B- lots of momentum and some anxiety that I like. I like the chord prog. on the turnaround- nice little walk. Love the guitar tone on the solo- kind of mid pedal wah, but the acoustic disappears a little too much there. I don't have much to critique on this one. It works for me.

I like the energy in 'Let it Go' and the music, but it feels a little weak in the mix, and the lyrics don't move me as much. Good tune, but not quite as strong.

I really like the bass line in 'Jill' for some reason- it works well with the song and remains simple. Maybe too much 'verb on the vocals. The vocal delivery feels a little stilted and emotionless for a ballad though. It's got a little David Bowie feel, especially after the solo. I like the turnaround in this one too.

'Sometimes' is a pretty straightforward pop rock song. I heard some interesting lyrics in there, but I couldn't understand all of it. I think it could use some backup vocals. Honestly it's probably more of a filler song- I don't think it will stand out but it's strong enough to hold a spot. It feels complete, but maybe just not one that will demand attention.

Good songs though, I liked them. And I caught that accent through most of it.. where are you from?

• Members

And I caught that accent through most of it.. where are you from?

Well, Sentry68, I'm from Seattle. So the accent thing is just, I don't know, I didn't even realize it was there! (Maybe I listened to too much Bowie growing up, but Jethro Tull was on my record player alot too :) ) But thanks for taking the time to listen to all my songs. I appreciate your comments. I think you right about "Jill" and "Let it Go". I don't think the recordings, and in some case the performance, are really up to what they could be. I plan on doing more work on both of those.I'm pretty new to recording, and I am quickly realizing that just because I have all this neat stuff on my computer, it does not mean I am a great engineer/producer! But it is fun and I learn more all the time.

• Members

You've got a good grasp on the classic country-rock style.I listened to the unmknown.Very solid guitar work-some nice twangy hammers and pulls in the rhythm and a nice screaming ballsy solo. and some gutsy writing(sounds like it was meant to grab you and take you for a bit of a ride.)I can't say much for your vocal style except that it's very raw but distinct.Not extremely polished but very gravely and tough with plenty of raw emotion.

Archived