You are the rapist

And I am the victim

They heard me pleading

But they never did come

There are two in here

Only one will leave

It'll be you

Because you just killed me

That's what I've got so far. No music, just seeing what can improve here. Once again, I appreciate your time for reading this and any feedback you have, both good and bad.

Kind regards,

Ian

• Members

Can I do don't like/like?

don't like:

unconditional. or any 5 syllable word.

you are the rapist I am the victim. my reasons for disliking this are social/political. Disregard me on this point.

you wash my blood from your blood stained hands. I would replace the second blood with another descriptive term. I would say "love stained hands". Or "wash the love". But I am perverse. Still don't like the blood twice in such quick succession.

like:

I was with you from the beginning. Like that it begins with a beginning.

there are two in here

only one will leave

it will be you

because you are killing me. This is so good. Few words, lots said, visual/physical.

don't understand:

they heard me pleading

but they never did come. don't quite get it in this context, the sudden referencing of these other entities, but I'm sure it makes sense to you.

Being understood is not a goal I often set for myself; I am usually pretty much involved in creating emotional landscapes out of personal material, and most of what I do is remove information. So the incongruity in these two lines is only that "they" are suddenly referenced in this work, and I'm not sure there's room or need in this work for these others.

• Members

Rape me

Rape me, my friend

Rape me

Rape me again

I'm not the only one

Hate me

Do it and do it again

Waste me

Rape me, my friend

I'm not the only one

Nirvana, Rape Me

I'm not sure what this Nirvana lyric might be saying to us about Ian's verse.

Do you think they are too similar?

I was having trouble with the rape because I am only willing to read it literally; I have a disagreement with rape used as a figurative device.

I read it figuratively at first because of the relationship context that was given.

Reading it figuratively I dismissed it.

Read literally, the third time through; it's a very tough song.

At that point I don't know how much I am reading and how much I am reading into the piece.

It's easier to like read literally, just very hard.

• Members

I'm not sure what this Nirvana lyric might be saying to us about Ian's verse.

Do you think they are too similar?

I was having trouble with the rape because I am only willing to read it literally; I have a disagreement with rape used as a figurative device.

I read it figuratively at first because of the relationship context that was given.

Reading it figuratively I dismissed it.

Read literally, the third time through; it's a very tough song.

At that point I don't know how much I am reading and how much I am reading into the piece.

It's easier to like read literally, just very hard.

literally or figuratively, its still a strong view, rape is essentially the stripping away part of one's self and i think its a good expression for strong lyrics. i like these lyrics, but im also a little unclear on it myself.

• Members

i have issues with the use of rape as a metaphor unless used (as in the Nirvana lyrics) with the brutality which the word implies ... and i feel a lot more comfortable when it's coming from a female artist (comfortable in the sense that it isn't being misused; i still can't get through Tori Amos's "Me and a Gun" without having to turn it off -- it's just that powerful)

to use "rape" as a metaphor for "i feel you've done me wrong" is total crap and a cheapening of the word and the metaphor

unfortunately, the song at issue is so weak lyrically, that the use of the word rape seems (to me) just theatrics, someone using a word they don't really understand the full significance of

or to put it another way, there are several cliches in the song, and rape just seems like one more cliche thrown out there without any real meaning for the writer

my .02

Archived