Slave out question.

Charliemills

• Members

tommythelurker posted this about a year and a half ago:

tommythelurker

04-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Slave out and line out are very similar. They are both basically line level and therefore either one will be safe to run into the board (you should still have a load on the speaker output of any tube amp however).

The difference between the two is where they are tapped from the circuit which results in a difference in the tone.

Line out is usually taken after the preamp, but before the power amp. Therefore it won't reflect the tonal characteristics of the power section and speaker load which are pretty significant to a guitar amps tone. The preamp tone can sound pretty nasty straight into a hi-fi amp and speaker like a PA.

The slave out is usually tapped off of the speaker output and padded to line level. This output will contain the characteristics of the power amp section as well and generally sound better into the board. A speaker emulater may still help a little though since guitar speakers tend to color the tone as well and your still lacking that with the slave out unless the slave amp is connected to another guitar cab instead of full range speakers like a PA.

This may not be true for all amps, some may call the preamp out a slave out, but for most amps I think it is correct. Either way it won't harm anything as I said they're both line level, the only thing it will affect is the tone you get out.

:thu:

• Members

So it's not a good idea to plug the slave out into a board and unplug the speaker out? I was thinking that theoretically I could "crank" my amp for recording while not blowing my neighbors or roommates away.

NO! You always need a load on the amp, speakers or some sort of load box. Otherwise you'll blow your amp up.

:thu:

• Members

So it's not a good idea to plug the slave out into a board and unplug the speaker out? I was thinking that theoretically I could "crank" my amp for recording while not blowing my neighbors or roommates away.

No it's not.

With my old MK IV i was able to do that since the cab was silenced when you use the line out but i don't know with the rectoverb :idk:

• Members

No it's not.

With my old MK IV i was able to do that since the cab was silenced when you use the line out but i don't know with the rectoverb
:idk:

Hmmm. I'll have to give that a try when I get home. It seems kind of pointless to have something like a slave out if you still have the normal speaker on your amp blasting away.

Archived