Saw David Wilcox last night!

deluxe74

• Members

Man it takes alot to keep me enthused through a whole show with just a guy and his guitar, but man David Wilcox kept me there EVERY SONG! Man that guy can write a lyric... What was really cool was before almost every song he told a story on how the song came about and why he wrote it. That really showed how connected the guy was to his surroundings and himself. He knew himself better than anyone I've heard. Simply fantastic!

• Members

For a while in the 80s and early 90s he played live on KCRW every once in a while and I fell in love with a song he performed on the station (and I was lucky enough to capture on cassette) that's now called "Chet Baker's Unsung Swan Song." (I'm listening to it from his "Very Best of..." album off Rhapsody as I write this.) In a very circumspect and allusive way, it's about the morning that Chet was sitting in his window on the second or third floor of a row house in Amsterdam enjoying the morning sunshine and apparently nodded off and fell...

It was a great performance by Wilcox that day. But this version with a discreetly Bakerish horn solo, is also really nice.

I'm not too familiar with that much of the rest of Wilcox's work but this song kills me every single time I hear it. Kills me.

Archived