Anyone ever compare E34L to KT77?

K-Bizzle

• Members

The reason I ask is both of these tubes always seem to be touted as "A good mix of EL34 and 6L6".

So I basically was just wondering the differences between the two and if anyone has compared them.

IIRC JJ is the only company that makes E34Ls and are one of the only 2 companies making KT-77s, so I think its a fair comparison as I would assume most of you who are using KT77s aren't shelling out $200 for a set of gold lions.

Thanks.:wave:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't compared them both but do run the jj e34l in my ampeg and they do have a bit more bottom end than the el34's that were in there before.

Yeah I have a set of E34Ls myself.

I stopped using them cuz they were old and because I was mixing EL34s and 6L6s in my RM100 anyway.

Basically the reason I'm asking is my RM50 can only run a pair of tubes rather mixing like I did in the RM100, so I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds in one set.

The real issue is, that the current production JJ KT-77s are said to be crap by users and dealers alike.:cry:

• Members

Bump for interest in this.

I was inquiring a similar thing. The E34L, the 6CA7 and the KT77 are all supposed to be between EL34 and 6l6. So it would be interesting to know what are the differences between those. I'm gonna have to retube my EL34 based amp soon so this question is hot...

• Members

I've put JJ KT77's in my 2/50/2 which has EL34's stock. Bigger, rounder bass, less harsh mids and highs. I really like them in that particular amp. I've had one go south but most likely that was my own fault. Never had any other problem with them.

Giga.

• Members

Bump for interest in this.

I was inquiring a similar thing. The E34L, the 6CA7 and the KT77 are all supposed to be between EL34 and 6l6. So it would be interesting to know what are the differences between those. I'm gonna have to retube my EL34 based amp soon so this question is hot...

6CA7:mad:

Now I've gotta have another to choose from now, great.:mad::wave:

• Members

6CA7:mad:

Now I've gotta have another to choose from now, great.
:mad::wave:

Go for the 6CA7s, I have them in my JMP and they rock. They're a mix of 34's and 6550s more than 6L6s IMO.

They have that mid grind of the 34s, same top end of a 34 but they have the ass end of 6550s.

EH is the only current producer and it's they ONLY tube of theirs I like, and they are CHEAP!

• Members

I have ones dated 2005 (JJ's) and they for sure are NOT crap? In fact, theY are pure tone win. I guess the "current" referred to is more current than 2005?

Yeah past 3 years have been crap is what people are saying.

Heres a quote from the webpage of a guy I buy from locally sometimes.

Lousy build quality - I won't use 'em in my own gear, so I won't sell 'em! I won't be stocking these

until JJ gets the build quality improved significantly. Very disappointing...

This kind of stuff is why I haven't pulled the trigger on them.

• Members

Go for the 6CA7s, I have them in my JMP and they rock. They're a mix of 34's and 6550s more than 6L6s IMO.

They have that mid grind of the 34s, same top end of a 34 but they have the ass end of 6550s.

EH is the only current producer and it's they ONLY tube of theirs I like, and they are CHEAP!

I'm definitely gonna try a pair in the RM50, for the price theres no reason not to.

Thanks!

Where do these bias around anyway? Same as EL34?

• Members

Yeah I have a set of E34Ls myself.

I stopped using them cuz they were old and because I was mixing EL34s and 6L6s in my RM100 anyway.

Basically the reason I'm asking is my RM50 can only run a pair of tubes rather mixing like I did in the RM100, so I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds in one set.

The real issue is, that the current production JJ KT-77s are said to be crap by users and dealers alike.
:cry:

Its ridiculous when people buy into internet opinions then become convinced there's a "real issue" about KT77s or that they're crap. Not sure why some folks believe everything they read on the internet. I bought my JJs back in July 08 and they have no issues. Like alot tone tweekers I compared the JJ against four other el34s.

GT EL34B

SED el34 c wing

EH el34B

Telefunken el34 anos

The Telefunkens by far sounded the best, then SEDs then GT and JJs were a tie. One thing is they weren't crap.

:o

• Members

who is this guy and what is the name of his store?

• Members

Its ridiculous when people buy into internet opinions then become convinced there's a "real issue" about KT77s or that they're crap. Not sure why some folks believe everything they read on the internet. I bought my JJs back in July 08 and they have no issues. Like alot tone tweekers I compared the JJ against four other el34s.

This.

'07 JJ kt77s ftw in a boogie MKIII

• Members

I've tried both the JJ E34Ls and the JJ KT77s in my Marshall JCM900 head. The E34Ls sound very much like EL34s, but with a little more omph in the bottom and a very raunchy midrange. The KT77s had a huge bottom end, a more evened out midrange and rounded off highs, and in general sounded very hi fi to my ears. They worked really well in a live context, and I highly recommend them.

I plan to install some KT77s in my JSX as well.

• Members

GT EL34B

SED el34 c wing

EH el34B

Telefunken el34 anos

The Telefunkens by far sounded the best, then SEDs then GT and JJs were a tie. One thing is they weren't crap.

read the quote i posted, thats the reason i believe it.

im sure they arent ALL bad, but id rather not risk it.

• Members

read the quote i posted, thats the reason i believe it.

im sure they arent ALL bad, but id rather not risk it.

JJ KT77s aren't crap and posting that is pretty ignorant. You just happen to believe in internet opinions that are based on crap. Risk ?............. exactly what are you risking :confused:

What ever the brand or type of new production tubes you buy the risk is pretty much the same.

• Members

I've compared them both in my Bogner XTC and my Triamp MkII

I prefer the KT77's, thicker, chunkier, with more well defined highs.

However, recently I tried again with new KT77's and preferred the EL34s, turned out that after several tries I couldn't get a matched quad of KT77's and no matter how I set the bias they sounded harsh.

If you can get 3 year old KT77s or new Gold Lions, go for it, if you have to get new JJ tubes, get the EL34L's

-W

• Members

Whoa. ok. stop. "build quality"?? So in other words if you get four working and matched tubes the tone is still there? Oh man, buy the tubes, seriously.

I'm not even sure I buy that. (although one of mine did drop a pin on first install, but once replaced, they have been working great after a month of abuse in my JSX combo).

• Members

However, recently I tried again with new KT77's and preferred the EL34s, turned out that after several tries I couldn't get a matched quad of KT77's and no matter how I set the bias they sounded harsh.

If you can get 3 year old KT77s or new Gold Lions, go for it, if you have to get new JJ tubes, get the EL34L's

-W

• Members

-W

Maybe the Bogner or Triamp isn't voiced for KT77s. Each amp has there preference. When I compared Jjs in my Vox AC100 the JJs compared equally to SED and GTs el34b low and high end. Its just the midrange wasn't as complex and clear or juicy. There's no proof that the 3 year old JJ KT77s are superior and the newer JJs are crap as previously stated, especially from anonymous interent sources.

• Members

Maybe the Bogner or Triamp isn't voiced for KT77s. Each amp has there preference. When I compared Jjs in my Vox AC100 the JJs compared equally to SED and GTs el34b low and high end. Its just the midrange wasn't as complex and clear or juicy. There's no proof that the 3 year old JJ KT77s are superior and the newer JJs are crap as previously stated, especially from anonymous interent sources.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. In a nutshell KT77's are like-

6L6's in the bass/treble/presense/resonance

EL34's in the mids.

Might a bit too simpley stated, but you get the point.

Archived