to sell the marshall or not?

pissdrunx

• Members

have you tried the orange firsthand? don't just make a decision on u toob clips, etc. try one first and if you like it better then go for it. I like orange... and i like marshall as well.... but it's just what suits you better. you also have one of the more desired 800's so you might want to keep it as long as you can.

• Members

I

If it's for stoner you might want to keep the JCM. The extra 20 watts will be a major advantage and with some pedals you'll get the right sounds, I'm sure.

AS much as I am an Orange devote, the JCM with a pedal would be better than the 30 watter. It is not just 20 watts....that 2204 has more volts and can ear-a-schplitten you.

• Members
So rocker 30 is not a loud amp??I mean, mine is 50w and to he honest I can`t see where to use them. My rehersal volume is below halfway, and that is PLENTY, and yes I play with a heavy handed drummer. I just didn`t really bother with it being 20w less...I need to get an atenuator fot the marshall asap!
:)

Don't get me wrong. I already got some great HEAVY tones out of my Rocker, and I think it'll be just as loud as the Marshall 50 watt.
The difference is all in clean headroom and punch. The Rocker starts to break up really early when you turn the volume up on the clean channel, and I doubt it'll be loud enough for gigs.
Still, if clean isn't your thing, the 20 extra watts will still give you some extra punch, which you'll need for stoner rock.

The advantage of the Rocker 30 watts is that you won't have to turn it that loud to get the most out of it. The sweet spot's where the volume is at 1 o'clock. It's really loud then, even with my 2x12 speakers. Still it's definately got a lot less headroom then the 100 watts TSL I owned earlier.

I think it's best to first go and test a Rocker 30 somewhere.

Can you also give us some names of bands? Maybe we share a different view on "stoner rock".

• Members
So rocker 30 is not a loud amp??I mean, mine is 50w and to he honest I can`t see where to use them. My rehersal volume is below halfway, and that is PLENTY, and yes I play with a heavy handed drummer. I just didn`t really bother with it being 20w less...I need to get an atenuator fot the marshall asap!

you just need a decent boost pedal/fuzz slam the front end for some distortion switch off and roll the guitars volume back to get clean

sorted.

The Marshall will do everything the rocker will, but better.

• Members

I don't know if this is just apocryphal, but almost every buddy I have who has an Orange has it in the shop.

{censored}in right. Over the last 2 years I've had the amp in the shop 4 times and it still doesn't work. Finally gave up on it completely last fall and I don't know what the {censored} to do with it. I should have known when they couldn't get the channel footswitch to work correctly (that was done under warranty when I got it) that this amp was going to be trouble.

That said, I've got the Vintage Modern going strong and I would have a hard time giving it up for an Orange.

• Members

It was just a thought, I`m back to my senses now!:)

Someone mentioned that i should give a list of bands I like. well, I don`t know that many stoner bands, and there a a few that I like the sound of, I really dislike the fuzzed out tones. What I do like is the sound Josh Homme gets, but I know that theres many factors to it, from the ampeg, c tuning, hollow guitars...

I have a sound in my mind, but I really at the moment don`t know how to get it. It`s like think Jimi Hendrix, but even more thundering sound. I`m not that much into high gain, I dunno, think thumping bass, low mids emphasis and fluid highs... all out balls. I don`t like most fuzzes, because of scooped tone, I like mids those that just kinda thump you in the chest, and most fuzz pedals are nowhere near enough articulate.

• Members
It was just a thought, I`m back to my senses now!
Someone mentioned that i should give a list of bands I like. well, I don`t know that many stoner bands, and there a a few that I like the sound of, I really dislike the fuzzed out tones. What I do like is the sound Josh Homme gets, but I know that theres many factors to it, from the ampeg, c tuning, hollow guitars...

I have a sound in my mind, but I really at the moment don`t know how to get it. It`s like think Jimi Hendrix, but even more thundering sound. I`m not that much into high gain, I dunno, think thumping bass, low mids emphasis and fluid highs... all out balls. I don`t like most fuzzes, because of scooped tone, I like mids those that just kinda thump you in the chest, and most fuzz pedals are nowhere near enough articulate.

What fuzzes have you tried?

There's a few mods you can do to muffs to give them flat mids. Also I just crank the mids on my 2203 and kick on the fuzz, balances it out pretty well. I just keep the sustain knob down to keep back feedback and mushy-ness

• Members

What fuzzes have you tried?

So far, NYC muff, double muff, muff ovedrive, Boss FZ-something(silver one), jimi hendric classic fuzz(i liked the most so far, but it just stoped working after a week of not being used). I`m geting the russian muff next, the clips I heard so far sounded nice.

• Members

So far, NYC muff, double muff, muff ovedrive, Boss FZ-something(silver one), jimi hendric classic fuzz(i liked the most so far, but it just stoped working after a week of not being used). I`m geting the russian muff next, the clips I heard so far sounded nice.

Russian Muff sounds like it'd be more up your alley, much more distortion like, especially if you like the Fuzz Face. Don't get me wrong they are very different but sounds like you're not a traditional muff guy.

If you got the cash:

http://tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Hoof&cat=72

• Members

the guy in Torche uses a JCM800 with a muff-style pedal and gets one of the most gorgeous stoner tones I've ever heard. if you don't feel like modding a stock muff or going boutique, get a rat and you'll be there.

that 30 watt orange rocker is a fine amp, but I don't think its tone is in the style that made Orange famous.

• Members

The rat, well turbo rat is what I was using for the last 6 months, but it is just too bright, I did the ruetz mod, but it didn`t sound too good. Maybe I need to get a regular rat.
I was thinking of geting the electro harmonix LPB1, as it`s supposed to be very transperent, and does not cut bass.

Archived