Amps without a presence control...

Numb Sensitive

• Members

Well, I had a couple of minutes this morning before work, after Mrs. Draelyc had left for her work, to open my amp up a bit volume-wise, after dialing the presence back up last night & cutting the treble knob down. Interesting results... The additional edge allowed me to crank the bass knob back up a bit (from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock) and still keep a tight enough low end for pseudo-metal palm chugging riffs to work really well. :rawk: Previously, I've been needing to use a boost up front to get enough edge & tight enough bottom end for that, but now the amp does it on its own just fine.

Interesting.....

• Members

Well, I had a couple of minutes this morning before work, after Mrs. Draelyc had left for her work, to open my amp up a bit volume-wise, after dialing the presence back up last night & cutting the treble knob down. Interesting results... The additional edge allowed me to crank the bass knob back up a bit (from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock) and still keep a tight enough low end for pseudo-metal palm chugging riffs to work really well.
:rawk:
Previously, I've been needing to use a boost up front to get enough edge & tight enough bottom end for that, but now the amp does it on its own just fine.

Interesting.....

yeah man-- i'm a firm believer that letting an amp do what it does unfettered-- if it's well designed, it's gonna sound WAY better than if you try to control everything and smooth it all out... i found this out desiging crossovers-- the less you try to 'control' drivers, and let them live where they do their best- they'll deliver a LOT better than if you try and wrangle them into doing MORE than they can via 'control circuits'. sometimes the raggedness and lack of control IS their character-- or just comes from using things wrong...

i certainly know el84s love to assert their top end... cranking down the presence on my amps always makes for a piss poor approximation of an el34 or a 6l6 amp with a blanket over it...

i dunno-- i guess a lot of stuff is labeled 'presence' in amps... but insofar as the global NFB loop is concerned.. hell.. crank that shit UP!

• Members

all this about the presence being on 10 meaning the amp is "open" is very interesting but i havn't the slightest clue as to how to apply this to my mark III. all the drive depends on preamp treble and the presence has to be under 4 for it to even be playable. :idk: :poke:

• Members

all this about the presence being on 10 meaning the amp is "open" is very interesting but i havn't the slightest clue as to how to apply this to my mark III. all the drive depends on preamp treble and the presence has to be under 4 for it to even be playable.
:idk:
:poke:

that's wierd-- mesa recommends keeping it at around 7. try turning your treble down and eq'ing different if you wanted to try it. they're pretty interactive-- but the possibility exists too that you've got a WAY brighter guit/pickup combo too...

• Members

that's wierd-- mesa recommends keeping it at around 7. try turning your treble down and eq'ing different if you wanted to try it. they're pretty interactive-- but the possibility exists too that you've got a WAY brighter guit/pickup combo too...

I do not know for sure, but I think the Mesa tone-stack is rather unusual in those amps ... as in, like he was saying, the drive actually depends on the treble being cranked up ~ :idk:

An actual Mark playah will have to confirm or deny that, but if it's true, I can see that making the presence setting tricky to dial in.

Meanwhile, I may have to make a few more clispeses this weekend of the Speed Twin w/ the presence opened up ... so folks can tell me how "fizzy" it is again! :lol:

:cop:

Archived