NGD: How Long Must I Really Wait...

Rayneman

• Members

to open the case? Its 23 outside, 69 inside, the guitar came from a store in NY, so its pretty much been at the same temp during its travel I would imagine. Its actually in my basement which is probably a couple of degrees colder than the upstairs.

UPS delivered it at least 1/2 hour ago, I took it out of the box but have not opened the case.

A couple of weeks ago I opened up the case with my EB/MM Axis right after I brought it in to our rehearsal place. It was in a van during the coldest weather of the year for over a week and I just opened it right up. No issues whatsoever, but I didn't really think about it at the time.

So now I have this brand-new custom shop/handmade BC Rich Mockinbird made from Koa, an ebony board and some walnut here and there. I am dying to see this sucker but obviously I don't want it to crack in front of my eyes.

What say ye, HCAF?

I've read various things that have said an hour is ok, 6-8 is necessary, it doesn't matter if its a solid body electric, etc...

• Members

i exposed a couple of my guitars to cold weather and i noticed the clearcoat along the neck cracked the clearcoat where the edge of the fret was. i was sitting next to a door while playing one of my razorbacks and i opened my back door while i was holding the guitar and it was really cold outside and i heard a couple little cracking type noises and i seen the cracks and it happened just that fast, another time when i first got my black KL exp it had been on the ups truck and was really cold and snowing out side and i took the case out of the box and it was really cold so i let it sit for about 40 min and i opened it and after about 1 min it started to get moisture on the top kinda like condonsation on the guitar from the guitar being so cold and my room being warm and i just closed the case, im not sure it if would mess up the coarcoat and cause it to weather check but i didnt wanna take the chance, maybe the wood can expand and contract.

Archived