Sunn Model T Reissue

Lemmings

• Members

i like mine a lot...

strong midrange crunch... clean is very guitar dependent.... i prefer through vinatge 30 as the mid range crunch and wide frequency speaker goes well ( as opposed to using greenbacks for dual rec)

i changed V1 with a 12at7 to get rid of a buzzy overdrive.... and have done that with all my amps, incl dual rec, lonestar special

• Members

Any bands that are running them? I think Isis might have been for a while. I've heard it being compared to the Fender Bassman, A Plexi, and the Dual Rectifier. Do any of those ring true?

Thinking of running it in stereo with a Hot Rod Deville.

• Members

i like mine a lot...

strong midrange crunch... clean is very guitar dependent.... i prefer through vinatge 30 as the mid range crunch and wide frequency speaker goes well ( as opposed to using greenbacks for dual rec)

i changed V1 with a 12at7 to get rid of a buzzy overdrive.... and have done that with all my amps, incl dual rec, lonestar special

that must sound sad. at7's are very very cold. Try a 5751. It will probably completely open it up.

• Members

Any bands that are running them? I think Isis might have been for a while. I've heard it being compared to the Fender Bassman, A Plexi, and the Dual Rectifier. Do any of those ring true?

the reissue is nothing like the original. The original is like a modded bassman. And a plexi is like a modded bassman.

Just to clear that up. there is NO relation between original and reissue.

• Members

Yeah i've heard they're pretty different internally. Are they any good for stuff that isn't drone / sludge. I play alternative rock stuff like A Perfect Circle with some post-rock influences like Mogwai and This Will Destroy You. Should I just hold out until I can afford a twin reverb or something?

• Members

Yeah i've heard they're pretty different internally. Are they any good for stuff that isn't drone / sludge. I play alternative rock stuff like A Perfect Circle with some post-rock influences like Mogwai and This Will Destroy You. Should I just hold out until I can afford a twin reverb or something?

Oh yeah. Definately. You have a sort-of clean channel, and a really dirty channel. It will do them perfectly.

• Members

Yeah maybe. I guess i'll need try it to see for myself. I've had the jubilee for 4 years and the tone just doesn't do much for me. Maybe it needs a retubing. It does the mid gain classic rock sound very well, but I need something with a beautiful clean sound, and unsurprisingly the SJ has very Marshally cleans which aren't really my thing. It cant really do high gain without a pedal either.

• Members

Russian Circles has been known to use the Model T reissue.

• Members

Yeah maybe. I guess i'll need try it to see for myself. I've had the jubilee for 4 years and the tone just doesn't do much for me. Maybe it needs a retubing. It does the mid gain classic rock sound very well, but I need something with a beautiful clean sound, and unsurprisingly the SJ has very Marshally cleans which aren't really my thing. It cant really do high gain without a pedal either.

Tubes + pickups man. Thats what saved my marshall 30th anniversary from being traded for a 5150.

As for the cleans, i know what you mean. If you want to try a 2 amp setup, i'd try a fender Deluxe Reverb. They're MUCH cheaper than a twin. Dont get as hot as twins. And sound better than twins at lower volumes. Dont get me wrong, twins sound good and clean, but only fatten up when they're rupturing your eardrums. When its below 4, it sounds kinda cold, And when its above 1, you feel liek you're going to die.. DRRI doesnt need to be that loud to warm up.

• Members

i like mine a lot...

Many gain circuits in modern amps are built around 12AT7s instead of 12AX7 because the modern designers were aware that current production tubes a few years back did not deliver the gain and transconductance of the good tubes (GE, Philips, RCA, etc) of yesteryear. Current production tubes have improved to the point where they are pushing those 12AT7 designed circuits beyond what was intended. An NOS 12AT7, like the JAN Philips one you are using, is going to be ideal for that type of circuit.

Having said that, here's a suggestion from your older brother: spend a few $ and try a good 5751 in V1 instead. Also try a 5751 in V2 while still using the stock Shuguang 12AX7 in V1. What I found in the reissue Sunn T50 was that a 5751 in V1 was very good for taming those shrill highs these amps generate, but it cut a little too much gain. I experimented and wound up leaving the Shuguang 12AX7 in V1 but using JAN Philips 5751s in V2. I also went with two Avatar slant 2 X 12" closed back speaker cabs. Each is loaded with 1 Eminence Legend V12 and one Celestion Vintage 30.

Archived