Hot Rod Input Jack

zbasstringer

• Members

My Hot Rod DeVille has a bad input jack (the first one). This amp was made in america, and if this helps at all, the circuit board is green with "Fender 1996" written on it. The input jack will only make a sound if I put the cable at an akward angle. The jack, and the whole box that it uses to connect to the board is loose too. I would like to just replace it. Any body know of any sites with replacement parts? (BTW, the old man has all the skills needed to do this, and knows of all the safety precautions). Any help would be great.

• Members

I had a friend's Blues Deville in here for fixing a while back, and they are probably about the same as far as the input is concerned?

It is most likely that the jack itself is ok though, and that all it really needs is a resoldering to the board.

What i found was that the jack specced by fender doesn't really have enough thread exposed to tighten the nut on securely or particularly permanently. When the nut loosens, the jack wobbles, and can break its solder connections on the PCB enough to go intermittent, or fully dead.

What i did was first i took the washer off of that jack, which allowed a bit more thread above the chassis for the nut to hold onto. Some threadlok might not be a bad idea either. Then just resolder the old jack to the PCB, just flow some more solder on, taking care not to {censored} up the board or drip solder excess anyplace, etc. standard stuff.

That way the problem that causes it is hopefully addressed somewhat, so you won't have to do it again in however many months or so.

If the jack is in fact {censored}ed, which is IMO not most likely, i believe that tubesandmore.com has RI fender stuff?

-chris

• Members

I had a friend's Blues Deville in here for fixing a while back, and they are probably about the same as far as the input is concerned?

It is most likely that the jack itself is ok though, and that all it really needs is a resoldering to the board.

What i found was that the jack specced by fender doesn't really have enough thread exposed to tighten the nut on securely or particularly permanently. When the nut loosens, the jack wobbles, and can break its solder connections on the PCB enough to go intermittent, or fully dead.

What i did was first i took the washer off of that jack, which allowed a bit more thread above the chassis for the nut to hold onto. Some threadlok might not be a bad idea either. Then just resolder the old jack to the PCB, just flow some more solder on, taking care not to {censored} up the board or drip solder excess anyplace, etc. standard stuff.

That way the problem that causes it is hopefully addressed somewhat, so you won't have to do it again in however many months or so.

If the jack is in fact {censored}ed, which is IMO not most likely, i believe that tubesandmore.com has RI fender stuff?

-chris

Thank you for the reply. I found this site : http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/inputjack.html which let me to Mouser electronics, and it will cost me all of $5 for 2 jacks and the needed washers. I may go witht eh totally replace them route.

• Members

Thank you for the reply. I found this site :
which let me to Mouser electronics, and it will cost me all of $5 for 2 jacks and the needed washers. I may go witht eh totally replace them route.

Sure, you could do that too. I probably wouldn't myself because the solution i mentioned above is pretty quick, reasonably secures the jack, and is free, but replacing the jacks as outlined on that site would obviously also work. Just be sure to get those insulating washers to keep the sleeve isolated from direct contact with the chassis.

-chris

• Members

Sure, you could do that too. I probably wouldn't myself because the solution i mentioned above is pretty quick, reasonably secures the jack, and is free, but replacing the jacks as outlined on that site would obviously also work. Just be sure to get those insulating washers to keep the sleeve isolated from direct contact with the chassis.

-chris

Yeah, I got the three parts he mentioned. I will have to try your solution, because if it is in fact the solution, why bother with it?

• Members

Yeah, I got the three parts he mentioned. I will have to try your solution, because if it is in fact the solution, why bother with it?

That was roughly what i came to on the matter. :D I was about to put some Cliff jacks in before i figured that bodge out. I guess time will tell, how permanent a fix it is, but it seemed a better arrangement than the stock one anyhow.

Also, i just checked and tubesandmore.com definitely has the correct original jacks for these amps. Not that i would put another one of the same crappy design jack in myself, but they do have them. :thu: Actually they carry a lot of OEM parts for these amps, even transformers.

-chris

• Members

That was roughly what i came to on the matter.
:D
I was about to put some Cliff jacks in before i figured that bodge out. I guess time will tell, how permanent a fix it is, but it seemed a better arrangement than the stock one anyhow.

Also, i just checked and tubesandmore.com definitely has the correct original jacks for these amps. Not that i would put another one of the same crappy design jack in myself, but they
do
have them.
:thu:
Actually they carry a lot of OEM parts for these amps, even transformers.

-chris

I went the switchcraft route with insulated washers. I may go ahead and mod other things while im in there :evil:

Actually, I need to get the Bitmo Trio Mod for my Epi amp I just traded for.

• Members

I've seen the Fender jacks fail in several ways. I've seen broken solder joints, the chrome ring comes out and the cable wobbles around, and I've seen the jacks broke all to {censored} because someone stepped on the guitar cord. Antique Electronics has the correct jacks. They switched to a different style jack on the newer amps.

Jerry

• Members

My Hot Rod DeVille has a bad input jack (the first one). This amp was made in america, and if this helps at all, the circuit board is green with "Fender 1996" written on it. The input jack will only make a sound if I put the cable at an akward angle. The jack, and the whole box that it uses to connect to the board is loose too. I would like to just replace it. Any body know of any sites with replacement parts? (BTW, the old man has all the skills needed to do this, and knows of all the safety precautions). Any help would be great.

It's service time!

• Members

Check out this website. There's an extensive section on the {censored}yness of those jacks, and how to replace them.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

• Members

Well, when I opened the amp up and finally got the board out of the amp, it turned out one connection on the old input was broken, but, I took it and the second input out, follwed the instructions on the site above, and it worked perfectly. New question: the amp has a hum and a ring. The ring sounds just like the ring the power tubes have when I tap them. When I grab both power tubes, the buzz and ring goes away. Is it more than likely the power tubes causing this? The pre-amp tubes are all of 3 months old, and nothing seems to be wrong with them. What do you guys think?

Archived