Songs that you love with lyrics that you hate

Stackabones

• Members

I'm kinda the opposite of most in this forum .While I am really trying to read and learn from everyone here on lyric writing , I've always been a sucker for listening to the music long before the lyrics . If the music grabs me I'll get to the lyrics . But more then once I've learn the chords to a song I'd like to play and then find out the lyrics are not what I pictured.

Case in point - David Bowie -Rebel Rebel . The guitar riff and music are infectious in my opinion. I can even handle the fact that the first verse is :

Doo doo doo-doo doo doo doo doo

But after that I couldn't see me( ( or anyone in the group for that matter ) singing this and me managing to keep a straight face.:confused:

But I strongly doubt I'll ever forget how to play that riff and if nothing else I'll annoy friends by playing it as they try to tune up . :poke:

Tbone

• Members

And I'd thinking almost all of the Simon and Garfunkel hits had the most self-conciously arty, black-turtleneck lyrics ever allowed on radio, but some of them still sound good. I have to laugh out loud every time I hear the coda to "I am a Rock"--he makes his {censored}ing point with sledgehammer sensitivity for two and a half minutes, then hits the ritardando and makes it as explicit as humanly possible.

Paul Simon has since expressed in interviews that he basically feels the same way about that song as you do.

• Members

My favorite thing to say for such a song is, "wow... *cringe*... I really wish that was in a different language."

...or perhaps... "you know, someone somewhere was sitting around and thought to themselves, 'this would make a great song! I have to get this down!' .. that's really sad."

To jump eras here, this is the case frequently with opera. I don't think I could ever justify learning Italian... it would ruin some of the most beautiful arias for me.

Archived