Not tight but, how does this sound guys?

riffy

• Members

No offence, but it sounds a bit bollocks to me. Maybe just not my taste in tone. To me there's a big gap in the midrange or something, between the kick/bass and where the guitars are currently sitting. It's just lacking fullness IMO.

That could well be and thanks for taking the time to listen and HONESTLY comment. I truly appreciate that.

It was the Axe-FX and I used vintage 30 cabs but in mixing it down, I used a stock preset pre-eq master in cool edit pro and that could have done it... Do you know or can you tell the freqs that are missing? I haven't a clue how to do so but, if I know what they are I can keep the eq from cutting them out!

Thanks,

Gary

• Members

Sounds REAAAAAAAAALLY scooped dude, don't like it. Sorry. :cry:

If there's scooping at around the 750 hz range on that EQ setting, back down on it. Usually about 2-3 db around that area is the key to getting that "scooped" aggression but still sounding full. It sounds like you pulled that range almost all the way out.

• Members

Thanks you guys! I didn't pull the mids out... I really think the pre-master eq jobbie did it... If it is at 750 I can make sure that slider is in the unchanged position for the next one! I am not really this kinda distortion guy but, I wanna be able to do it where it does sound full for when I DO want to use it...lol

Gary

• Members

That could well be and thanks for taking the time to listen and HONESTLY comment. I truly appreciate that.

It was the Axe-FX and I used vintage 30 cabs but in mixing it down, I used a stock preset pre-eq master in cool edit pro and that could have done it... Do you know or can you tell the freqs that are missing? I haven't a clue how to do so but, if I know what they are I can keep the eq from cutting them out!

Thanks,

Gary

Not home at the moment, but post up your settings.

Actually, it just occured to me that your file name has three different amps listed in it, so that might be a bit of work.

Speaking three different amps though, I've noticed that cab-wise with the Axe, what works for one amp doesn't necessarily work for another. With my Mark series stuff it's Cali and Brit. If I try that with another amp, it sounds rubbish. The Recto sounds ok to me with the V30, but using the V30 on the USA Leads sounds rubbish to me.

I think for my one Das Metall patch (hardly played with it though) I'm using the V30, haven't played with the D60 much at all yet, but the Plexi I'd probably try something else.

There really just does seem to be a big gap between the lows of the bass and kick, and what sounds to be high mids upwards in the guitars. Low mids and mids seem to be rather absent. Post up the track without the EQ on the master so we can see what that sounds like.

• Members

It does sound a bit better, but IMO still needs work. This is going off personal taste though I guess.

Are you pushing your master volumes pretty high? I've seen some people, Cliff included I think, that say to not push it that high with the hi-gain amps, and to get more of the gain from the preamp controls. IMO, even with high gain models, the sound improves a lot by getting that master pretty high (not necessarily maxed, as that can sound too mushy and... {censored}house) and backing off the pre gain a bit.

The gain on your clip sounds a bit odd to me. Seems very tight, almost solid state-ish. There still doesn't seem to be enough going on in the low mids and mids IMO. Maybe try mixing in another cab.

Depends though... what are you actually aiming for? If you want a really sharp, kinda thin sounding tone, you're probably there. I'm not about to assume anything... Dimebag's tone wasn't anything in the slightest bit decent to my ears, but he and plenty of others seem(ed) to love it. :idk:

• Members

Man, what kind of settings are you using with the Das Metall?

I just fired up my quickly done patch, and running the 4x12 V30 cab, I've got a pretty huge mid-range with the DM's mids set to just 1.81! Actually, even with extreme settings, i.e. the mids zero'd out, treble maxed, bass zero'd, presence cranked, etc., I'm just not getting that kind of tone.

Actually... which cab are you using? 4x12 V30 is the one I'm talking about (Framus cab I believe). There are other V30 cabs I believe, but the one I'm actually talking about is the stock 4x12 V30 cab. I'm almost thinking you're using the 4x12 30W cab here. With the Framus cab, I just wouldn't be able to dial anywhere near your tone without some serious PEQ action after the amp or cab.

At the moment, my lil patch consists of just amp -> cab -> MBC (to tighten up the lows). There's no real magic in there at all (mind you, it's far from perfect, but I've spent bugger all time tweaking that patch).

• Members

Gary,

I'm diggin' the second clip with the enhanced mids a bit more than the original. Sounds tighter & more aggressive, to my ear. However, it does not seem to give quite the same "stereo wash" of sound that the first, more scooped clip does. :idk:

I don't know how many guitar tracks you put down there, but fwiw (& ymmv, of course) I've been diggin' the results of using two different speakers/cabs & panning left & right for a "bigger" sound. How that would work with the AxeFX, I dunno, but might be fun to mess with.

Either way, I like the bigness of these rhythms/chords. Is there any way to turn off the automatic preset pre-eq master stuff in the software you're using? I'm curious just what the "raw" tone would sound like in comparison.

C

(P.S. Thanks again for the tone/recording tips the other day ~ haven't had a chance to try 'em out yet... We picked up a stray dog, and our hands have been full! :eek: But hopefully this week I can get back into my makeshift "studio"...)

• Members
Man, what kind of settings are you using with the Das Metall?

I just fired up my quickly done patch, and running the 4x12 V30 cab, I've got a pretty huge mid-range with the DM's mids set to just 1.81! Actually, even with extreme settings, i.e. the mids zero'd out, treble maxed, bass zero'd, presence cranked, etc., I'm just not getting that kind of tone.

Actually... which cab are you using? 4x12 V30 is the one I'm talking about (Framus cab I believe). There are other V30 cabs I believe, but the one I'm actually talking about is the stock 4x12 V30 cab. I'm almost thinking you're using the 4x12 30W cab here. With the Framus cab, I just wouldn't be able to dial anywhere near your tone without some serious PEQ action after the amp or cab.

At the moment, my lil patch consists of just amp -> cab -> MBC (to tighten up the lows). There's no real magic in there at all (mind you, it's far from perfect, but I've spent bugger all time tweaking that patch).

i like to use that same cab with my das metal patch :thu:

• Members
i like to use that same cab with my das metal patch
:thu:

The Framus with the Das Metal does just sound huge straight away. Haven't experimented at all with blending in another cab yet though.

But last night, I was specifically trying to make that combo sound mid-less and trebly like that, and as far as I can tell, without adding EQs after it to really {censored} with it, it's just not possible. :o

Also, the response seems different too. I wasn't getting that really sharp attack sound like in the clip, it was quite a bit spongier (but then, I like my preamp gain backed off and the master up fairly high). Changing to the 30W cab I noticed gave it a much sharper attack, and with tweaking, a semi-similar kind of sound.

Played around with the Blackface a lot last night. That, with an altered Full OD in front of it for leady bits was freakin' sweet! :love:

Archived