Fallen (my first song post)

bostonwal

• Members

This song is in progress. It still needs vocals on the second half of the first verse (a guitar melody is filling in for now) and in the quiet bridge. However, we actually may not use the current verse 1 and may go into a slightly more intense sound instead of getting so ballad-y sounding. I feel like we lose some momentum bringing the volume down so low. I also will be experimenting with the beats to keep the main intro/chorus beat fresh sounding throughout.

I don't have lyrics to post because I'm not the singer. However, they are pretty interesting so I can get them later. I'm the instrumental dude in the "band." It's just the singer and I until we're ready to play shows and then we'll get a bass player and drummer (I'm the guitarist in a band setting).

I'd appreciate hearing what you think! Oh, the band is called Tilted.

Completed version of Fallen (with live drums as well):

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7714338

Earlier incomplete version:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7523249

• Members

I like what you have so far. It has a real big sound, which I think is cool and works well with the song. I think you need to bring the vocals out front more. They are really getting buried by the rest of the band.

• Members

I like what you have so far. It has a real big sound, which I think is cool and works well with the song. I think you need to bring the vocals out front more. They are really getting buried by the rest of the band.

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah it's a huge sound in the chorus and I'm sure i'll need to be doing a wet/dry/wet set up to get a similar sound live from the guitars (four guitar tracks, two panned left and two right).

Mixing is so time consuming that I try not to get sucked into it too much until the arrangement is locked down. But if you think the vocals are buried (during the chorus I imagine) then that's not good. I'll bump them up.

• Members

This song is in progress. It still needs vocals on the second half of the first verse (a guitar melody is filling in for now) and in the quiet bridge. However, we actually may not use the current verse 1 and may go into a slightly more intense sound instead of getting so ballad-y sounding. I feel like we lose some momentum bringing the volume down so low. I also will be experimenting with the beats to keep the main intro/chorus beat fresh sounding throughout.

I don't have lyrics to post because I'm not the singer. However, they are pretty interesting so I can get them later. I'm the instrumental dude in the "band." It's just the singer and I until we're ready to play shows and then we'll get a bass player and drummer (I'm the guitarist in a band setting).

I'd appreciate hearing what you think! Oh, the band is called Tilted.

No way, baby. Keep it the way it is with the soft melody up front. It's really nice. But you could tighten the front and back a little if you're looking to shear. Maybe cut eight to 12 bars out of the intro. It takes you like 52 seconds to get to the singing, which is the best part of the song. I started to drift a little because you have like three beginnings: the drum count-off, the opening chord progression and then a little digression before you start singing. It's a little busy.

You could also cut the last minute. I find these kinda big-sound songs tend to drag after three minutes.

But I really like your sound, dude. This song's emotional without being whiney. Could be tigther. But I'm also just a big fan of pop singles.

• Members

No way, baby. Keep it the way it is with the soft melody up front. It's really nice. But you could tighten the front and back a little if you're looking to shear. Maybe cut eight to 12 bars out of the intro. It takes you like 52 seconds to get to the singing, which is the best part of the song. I started to drift a little because you have like three beginnings: the drum count-off, the opening chord progression and then a little digression before you start singing. It's a little busy.

You could also cut the last minute. I find these kinda big-sound songs tend to drag after three minutes.

But I really like your sound, dude. This song's emotional without being whiney. Could be tigther. But I'm also just a big fan of pop singles.

I have wrestled with the length of the intro for a long time. I'll see about chopping off some because I see that 0:52 and wish it could get going quicker. I guess adding the snare in the second half of the intro is not enough to keep the interest there that much. I guess i just feel the current intro has a mesmerizing quality to it, but I'll start chopping and see.

The outro fades out at a pretty arbitrary time. Synth melody that comes in is something I was thinking of doing more with. I definitely the chorus gets a little tiresome due to the beat. So I think I'll transition out of the tom beat and into a straight up rocking 2 and 4 beat on the snare. Could be nice, and could help out the outro. I also want to stop doing the beat in the first verse - just on the ride or something, because I start to get tired of it at the first chorus.

Anyway thanks for your feedback! I'll be posting more as we get closer to putting stuff up on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/tiltedonline).

• Members

I just realized on a third listen: dude, your song is quite similar to the Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody" with a few less hooks. Particularly the intro. Listen to that one and you'll see they gets to the verse about 20 seconds sooner than you do and it makes a big difference.

Ah! Excellent comparison! We were wondering what other songs might be like this - with the giant intro and such. I think there's more out there that might be similar. this was a good one though. Thanks Matximus!

• Members

a song can be 2 miniutes long ,this has an intro that is 1/2 that long before the song starts.

The recording is class and LOUD!!! I have a volume knob to turn it up if I want.

I had to stop after the intro . If you are just going to {censored} around for a miniute before the song starts why should I waste my time ?

• Members

I have a song on my site called Fallen too its on the last page of my 180 some songfest on soundclick . It was recorded in a real studio with me on lead guitar playing a imprvised 1st take no saftey net solo. I edited out the singing to protect my friend ,Ervins song.

• Members

Ok, new arrangement (half the intro length due to just cutting it out, not actually replaying it), voice bumped up, some changes in the drum parts, and not as hotly mastered. Let me know what you think....

Righteous, dude! Much better. I'd put this on my iPod for sure.

And I thought of two similar big-sound intro songs.

Coldplay's Politik

And British Sea Power's Waving Flags

• Members

Righteous, dude! Much better. I'd put this on my iPod for sure.

And I thought of two similar big-sound intro songs.

Coldplay's Politik

And British Sea Power's Waving Flags

Thanks Matximus!

Yeah, those are both great examples. I realized that a lot of "huge" sounding songs also came from shoegazer and new wave-ish stuff of the 80s like My Bloody Valentine and even The Cure.

I think The Cure's Plainsong might have been a huge influence and I didn't even think of that until you posted the BSP song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZoYzne9Tpg

I think it might have influenced another song of ours as well. I'll post that later.

Anyway, hopefully Brett (the singer) will have vocal parts for the remaining parts of the song this weekend.

• Members

This is really sounding better. I think cutting off some of the intro makes the song stronger, and I can hear the vocals - except for the part about 20 seconds into the song. I really want to know what he is saying!

• Members

This is really sounding better. I think cutting off some of the intro makes the song stronger, and I can hear the vocals - except for the part about 20 seconds into the song. I really want to know what he is saying!

Cool thanks! That vocal part he's doing 20 seconds in was done under his breath from the beginning and I kinda liked it as a cryptic lead singer thing so I kept it in. I always though he was saying "See you coming out again" but he says he saying "I see you're coming my way." The longer intro had a second line which I thought said "Stars above me and [something]" but he says he was saying "Stars are blind in the day."

We might take the album name from a line in this song - "Traces of the Sun."

• Members

Thanks for filling me in. I'll sleep much better tonight!
:thu:

You have any more in the works?

Glad you could sleep well! We certainly have more in the works. We have 12 songs written for the first album (and many for the 2nd that we're psyched about) but we're doing preproduction right now and in trying to finalize these songs we're realizing there are a lot of major aspects that we have to make some decisions on.

I'll post more of the demos up here as they get to a postable point. It was very helpful getting the feedback for Fallen.

• Members

I just listened to the last mix (streaming from soundclick). Man I like it. DEFINITELY keep the ballady feel- it feeds the dynamic and mood. The thing that pleases me most with this offering is the dynamics. You really made an effort to explore it, and it's fantastic. That contrast keeps me hooked all the way. And your singer reminds me of Bono (/me fends off thrown objects for making yet another comparison).

Excellent song, definite keeper. No comment on the words- post them for more feedback. Good job.

• Members

I just listened to the last mix (streaming from soundclick). Man I like it. DEFINITELY keep the ballady feel- it feeds the dynamic and mood. The thing that pleases me most with this offering is the dynamics. You really made an effort to explore it, and it's fantastic. That contrast keeps me hooked all the way. And your singer reminds me of Bono (/me fends off thrown objects for making yet another comparison).

Excellent song, definite keeper. No comment on the words- post them for more feedback. Good job.

Hey thanks Sentry68! Yeah, we'll keep the ballady feel. I can see anticipation building in the first verse for the big payoff of the chorus. Now if my singer could just fill in the second half of the verse and the bridge! (probably this weekend)

The Bono reference - thanks! That's obviously very high praise. The Bono/U2 influence gets a bit more obvious in a couple of our other songs. Something we embrace, yet we're happy when we come up with something that doesn't have that flavor.

I'll check with my singer to see if he wants the words posted.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well, we just completed this song and recorded live drums with it. Issues that have been resolved: intro, second half of first verse vocal, quiet bridge section (vocal, etc). Also, there is a new vocal melody at the very end which the singer came up with spontaneously which I really love.

Let me know what you think:

Completed version of Fallen:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7714338

Archived