Carvin X100-b Clip,recording tips neded...

IPlayMetronome

• Members

So i threw this together today,and after experimenting with mic placement for hours,this is the least "nasal" sounding clip i can come up with.

I'm using an SM57 into an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface.Other gear is just whats in my sig.

I've heard SM57's have a rep for boosting mids,so maybe I need to cut mine at the amp.:idk: Haven't tried that yet.

It's driving me bonkers because its not what i'm hearing in the room.

Oh and props to thinkpad20 for making kickass drum tracks:thu:http://www.acidplanet.com/components/embedfile.asp?asset=1211616&T=3621

• Members

Haha, I have an x100b half stack and went through a zillion positions with an SM57, and finally found the best set up was this:

If you're looking at the cab from the front, have the mic horizontal, going left to right, with the mic tip right in front of one of the speaker cone centers.

Now, looking at the cab & mic from above, have the mic at a slight angle so it's parallel with the cone, like about 5 or 10 degrees from the center of the cab (the mic tip is the closest part of the mic to the grill). The tip should be like 4 to 6" from the grill.

Sorry I don't have pics, that would probably be a lot easier to understand.

Hope that helps. I tried hanging the mic, then pointing straight at a speaker, etc., nothing sounded like what I heard with my ears until I came up with the configuration I described, which I was pretty happy with.

Crank the master volume to at least 4 if you can! You'll get the best tone that way.

Archived