Swapping a Super Champ XD into a larger cab?

Karma1

• Members

I saw someone selling an empty cab from a Fender Pro Roc 1 x 12" combo amp, and was wondering about pulling the chassis out of my SCXD and installing it in the cab. I've never done anything like that and am wondering how much of a job it would be and if it might worth it to move up from a 10" speaker to a 12" speaker and slightly larger cab. Of course the other alternative is to just buy separate a 1 x 12 cab and plug the SCXD into it. But I was just wondering about the feasibility of swapping the guts out of my amp and putting it in the larger cab. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

• Members

Wow - that oxblood/tweed is beautiful.

The price of $220 is more than I wanted to spend, though. Not that it's not worth it, but out of my range at the moment. The used Fender amp cab I was looking at is $75. I'll keep it in mind though. I bet the tweed grill cloth would also look sweet with forest green tolex. I'd love to know how much different the amp sounds with a 12" speaker and slightly larger cab.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
You can get a custom cab built by JD Newell cabs
http://www.newellamps.com/index.html
for around $180 minus speaker:thu: E-mail him. I did. He quoted me a tweed/oxblood cab for around $220.

this is a pic from a forumite at the gear page

superchampmods.jpg

That is my cab now! I bought it from Brooks for $125 pp/shipped. Looks a MILLION times better in real life and OMG, what difference in sound, well worth it!

Now I am trying out different speakers for it. lol Looks for some for sale from me soon.

Archived