what the heck is a ceriatone creme brulee?

newholland

• Members

that's my amp in the pictures
:)
the one in the youtube clips is a prototype, apparently

yes, it is the EF86 side of a DC30. 15 watts, switchable to 7 watts.

what kind of gain can you muster out of that thing if you dime it? pretty standard voxy fare, or a little denser?

looks like a great combo of simple circuit and the right wattage for a bunch of nice OD!

• Members

what do y'reckon on a build of something like that chris-- i think it was you who told me that ef86es can make life kinda miserable due to microphonics as well..

how's that work with the ef86-- is the ax a phase inverter, or a follower of some sort?

• Members

what kind of gain can you muster out of that thing if you dime it? pretty standard voxy fare, or a little denser?

looks like a great combo of simple circuit and the right wattage for a bunch of nice OD!

Well when dimed, there's a good amount of gain - probably a tad more than a vox. Cleans are quite similar I'd say. There is a bypass-able master volume, but it sounds a little fizzy when it's at lower volumes. There is also a boost switch, which does seem to tighten the sound up somewhat.

Edit: it has a six way tone control, and the cut control. The cut control sort of...well, it rolls off the highs. good for single coils. It doesn't affect the sound NEARLY as much as the tone control.

The 12AX7 is the phase inverter, yes. I haven't had any microphonic issues with the EF86 yet...they included those dampeners, but I don't know if they do anything.

• Members

what do y'reckon on a build of something like that chris-- i think it was you who told me that ef86es can make life kinda miserable due to microphonics as well..

how's that work with the ef86-- is the ax a phase inverter, or a follower of some sort?

Buying a good EF86 is worth the extra coin and will give you much less trouble. I swapped out the JJ EF86 in a Matchless with a Dario EF86, and honestly, there was a significantly positive change in tone. Reliability is improved as well.

• Members

Master volume on a 15 watt amp is so FAIL.

BTW what the {censored} does "cut" do?

A MV on a 15w can be very useful for recording. I actually use the one on my amp pretty often playing around the house. 15-20w is LOUD for roomates, and a lower power head can work better with an MV than a higher power one.

The "Cut" control is a tone control, but located in the power section, after the P.I. It can be very useful to take out fizz, almost usable like a presence control, but a very different circuit application.

-chris

• Members

Well when dimed, there's a good amount of gain - probably a tad more than a vox. Cleans are quite similar I'd say. There is a bypass-able master volume, but it sounds a little fizzy when it's at lower volumes. There is also a boost switch, which does seem to tighten the sound up somewhat.

Edit: it has a six way tone control, and the cut control. The cut control sort of...well, it rolls off the highs. good for single coils. It doesn't affect the sound NEARLY as much as the tone control.

how's it dial in? can you get a solid balance between bass and treble with the two knobs? and how's it do with a drummer?

sounds like a great amp-- and hell... 7 watts'd be great for recording!

what speakers you pairing it with?

i wonder too what it'd do with a solid state rectifier....

• Members

how's it dial in? can you get a solid balance between bass and treble with the two knobs? and how's it do with a drummer?

sounds like a great amp-- and hell... 7 watts'd be great for recording!

what speakers you pairing it with?

i wonder too what it'd do with a solid state rectifier....

Yeah, dialing it in is fairly easy. Basically you have the six way tone control, which goes from a bassy sound, to a more trebly sound...then the cut control, which can roll of some highs basically. (it doesn't necessarily do the same thing as the tone control)

Then there's the 3 way bright switch.

It keeps up with a drummer just fine, but it has to be turned up a fair bit.

I'm running it through a 4x12 with celestion G12H 30 watts. Haven't really tried many other speakers with this amp yet.

I've only run it at 7 watts once, and it doesn't really get that much quieter, but it is noticeable.

• Members

AX7 is the P.I. The EF86 can give a lot of distortion all by itself, a really cool tube. It is just potentially a little difficult to find new production tubes that won't go microphonic quick.

You can see that Nik is using shock mounting on the EF86 sockets. You could also pick up some of those damping rings.

Spending more on a NOS EF86 won't always save you the trouble of a microphonic tube. They are just more prone to it in general than a typical 12AX7 is. It might be worth for you it to try it though, it is a pretty cool sounding tube, for sure. It can be a firebreather.

-chris

• Members

Yeah, dialing it in is fairly easy. Basically you have the six way tone control, which goes from a bassy sound, to a more trebly sound...then the cut control, which can roll of some highs basically. (it doesn't necessarily do the same thing as the tone control)

Then there's the 3 way bright switch.

It keeps up with a drummer just fine, but it has to be turned up a fair bit.

I'm running it through a 4x12 with celestion G12H 30 watts. Haven't really tried many other speakers with this amp yet.

I've only run it at 7 watts once, and it doesn't really get that much quieter, but it is noticeable.

thanks RHlol... good info! sounds like a good fit for what i do with an amp in a lotta ways, and honestly.. kinda sounds like we might use 'em in sorta similar ways! i used to use an h30 with my mesa .22-- but switched over to a greenback clone and a cl80 for the cleanliness... the bright switch could be great in lieu of a presence knob!

is the ef86 that radically different that the circuit's wildly different from a lightning 15?

• Members

I love it

hahahaa

creme brulee's have many options + Nik can take the master vol out all together for you tone snob purists out there
:cop:

it's kinda funny to think that an amp with VERY few options could cause such an uproar.. by having an option...:lol:

• Members

it's kinda funny to think that an amp with VERY few options could cause such an uproar.. by having an option...
:lol:

Pretty basic amp really.

Makes me wonder if ol Nik can make half of a BF Deluxe Reverb

Vibrato: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass, Speed, Intensity -

I would buy one :):thu:

with a half power switch and bypassable master vol options of course just to piss off the tone snob's out there:poke:

Archived