Two speaker cabinet questions

Rumble Bass

• Members

1. 100 watt amp into a 90 watt cabinet - is this safe? Is it a bad idea?

2. A cabinet with 2 16ohm speakers makes a 8ohm cabinet, right?

1. It depends on the volume you are using. For home levels it is fine, but for stage volumes I would not recommend it. Remember, you can always pull two powertubes (the outer tubes) to cut the wattage in half. This will also change the impedence of your amp. For instance if you were running the 8 ohm out to an 8 ohm cab you would switch to the 4 ohm out to the same 8 ohm cab.

2. If the speakers are wired in parallel you are correct. 8 Ohms.

• Members

1. 100 watt amp into a 90 watt cabinet - is this safe? Is it a bad idea?

2. A cabinet with 2 16ohm speakers makes a 8ohm cabinet, right?

1. It will be okay if you don't crank it up too loud. It depends on what you are feeding into it. Tube amps can spike above their rated rating, which would not be good for the speakers obviously.

2. If they are wired in parallel, yes.

• Members

1. It depends on the volume you are using. For home levels it is fine, but for stage volumes I would not recommend it.
Remember, you can always pull two powertubes (the outer tubes) to cut the wattage in half
. This will also change the impedence of your amp. For instance if you were running the 8 ohm out to an 8 ohm cab you would switch to the 4 ohm out to the same 8 ohm cab.

You CANNOT do this on every 100 watt amp.

• Members

My amp has a switch to use 50 or 100 watts, so obviously I can just leave it on 50watts, but I'd like the 100 watt option to be available as well. So I'm trying to decide between a 2X12 with a 60 and a 30 watt or two 60 watt speakers. I'd like the option of playing loud, so I'll likely have to go with the 2 60 watt speakers.

• Members

50 watts is pretty damn loud. I'd personally choose the speakers that suited my tastes better and then use whatever watt option I need to based on that. Unless there is a significant difference between the 50W and 100W setting, or you REALLY need the clean headeroom.. But I can't imagine it would be more significant than the difference between different speakers.

• Members

50 watts is pretty damn loud. I'd personally choose the speakers that suited my tastes better and then use whatever watt option I need to based on that. Unless there is a significant difference between the 50W and 100W setting, or you REALLY need the clean headeroom.. But I can't imagine it would be more significant than the difference between different speakers.

Dude, 50 watts through good speakers is {censored}ing loud. Seriously.

-D

Archived