1946 Soundcraft for my Carvin Belair?

floyd1991

• Members

I am trying to trade my Belair (2x12, 50 watts) for a smaller amp. This guy is offering my a 1946 "Soundcraft". He says it's 1x12 and around 20 watts. I can't find much info about it, but he says its in working condition.

What would you all recommend? I would drive over and try it out but he lives a ways away so I'd like to see if it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks

• Members

I am trying to trade my Belair (2x12, 50 watts) for a smaller amp. This guy is offering my a 1946 "Soundcraft". He says it's 1x12 and around 20 watts. I can't find much info about it, but he says its in working condition.

What would you all recommend? I would drive over and try it out but he lives a ways away so I'd like to see if it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks

I wouldn't. I've never seen a Soundcraft, so more info would be nice to figure out what it is and what it could be worth.

If the amp was built in 1946, you're going to have a fairly niche amp that may or may not be good for what you want to play. Amps of that vintage were really prior to the beginning of guitar amps, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good amp.

If it were me, I'd sell the Carvin outright, add a bit of money, and buy a used SF Princeton Fender or something along those lines.

• Members

I dunno, man. A 1946 1x12 20 watt....is it a tube amp?...just kinda piques my interest. I'd make the drive to check it out if I couldn't find out much about it. It might just sound GREAT. You never know.

I think it would almost have to be a tube amp....solid state stuff didn't really get going for another 15 years after that, but I could be wrong.

It might sound good...Muzikazoo is correct that it may be worth the drive to check it out.

• Members

Never heard of it... The only three Soundcrafts I'm familiar with are a Japanese one making tube high end "audiophile" stuff, the one making mixers and an Australian company that operated in the 1960's and 1970's building those cheapish Vadis amps.

Anyway, the things you'll get from the mid 1940's are pretty much simple lap steel or PA/multi-purpose amps - most of them requiring thorough service and modification (e.g. cap job, 3-prong conversion) to be operational and safe. 20 watts of power is a big figure for that period of time so I'm doubtful if its accurate. All in all, I definitely wouldn't trade the Carvin as is since even its speakers are likely much more worthy than an old, no-name tube amp from the 1940's. With luck you can still find that kind of stuff with a price of less than hundred bucks - at least assuming the amp's brand is unregognised by majority of people, as seems to be the case now. Don't pay too much simply because its old and seems to be what you need at the moment.

• Members

The other thing to figure in on those old amps is that, unless it's been serviced pretty recently, the caps are probably going to need to be replaced, which can result in some coin if you can't do the work yourself.

I have a couple old goofy amps...an old Harmony H-400 that I bought for $15 off of ebay because the guy claimed it was 'broken.' Amp's in mint condition, just had a broken solder joint. I also have a mid 1940's Montgomery Ward amp that is a cool little ratty amp. But, I don't gig with those amps, and they're pretty much one-trick ponies.

If you're a single-amp guy, stay away from that kind of stuff for now. You're better off with a more versatile and newer amp.

Archived