Building a Weber Kit

slashdot

• Members

Weber amp is out since I've read some feedback indicating they are a little off on their customer service. Looking at a Marsh amp at this point.

+++++++ Update +++++++++

I'm actually looking at the Marsh 5F4 the Tweed Super w/ 2 x 10's ... this looks like the CHOICEST of amps although I don't think it has verb or vibe on board. It looks absolutely amazing! Anyone build one of these amps from Marsh? How detailed were the instructions? Any build difficulties?

• Members

I've been looking at Weber for years and years, but could never get the courage to order it. Lot's of pros and cons about them if you search the web.

I would much rather go with Ceriatone

Actually... I almost did for the 2204 I'm building, but ended up ordering parts separately (mostly from tubesandmore.com) because of the shipping cost and the fact that Hammond trannies were cheap for me (being in Canada). Of course I have to do all the chassis drilling and punching myself but I don't mind.

But definitely look into Ceriatone if you can

• Members

The Ceriatone options are a little limited. Definitely they don't have the Deluxe Reverb or VR that I'm looking for.

I'm also confused ... will these actually fit in to preassembled cabinets or will I need to punch my own stuff?

The Webers look so tough to build!

Zach

• Members

Ive never built an amp before but I have a deft touch with the soldering iron and I've modded a few amps and pedals in my past. I have most of the supplies (variable heat ceramic iron, multimeter, side cutters, wire strippers, etc).

Blaargh!

ZE

• Members

expect no help from weber. they're cheap, but you majorly get what you pay for in parts and service. I'm not saying you need mallory vintage caps, and mercury magnetics x-formers, but the webers parts were very cheap. He makes a good chassis, so you could always buy that from him. His turret board wasn't bad either, so you can opt for that too. As far as pots, caps, resistors, wiring, sockets, and lamps. Mouser and hoffman amps are pretty cheap, but have quality stuff. The caps and resistors are very expensive from hoffman amps, but if you're too lazy to find the right types of resistors/caps at mouser, you can spend an extra 10+ bucks on buying them from hoffman. X-formers...you're on your own, mojo probably has them.

As for ceriatone, i never bought from them, but nik kind of turned me off from buying a kit, by pushing me to buy it pre-assembled from him, cause the cost for him to built it was marginal. I would've saved like only 10-20 bucks to have him do the turret board. Any tech here in the states would charge at least 50 for something like that. So ceriatone makes a great amp from what i've heard, but you're not really going to save that much money on buying a kit as opposed to getting it built by him, that and shipping will be around $100. Plus, i don't think he does the blackface thing.

Hope that helped :)

• Members

Bump - anyone have experience with the Marsh kits? How detailed are the instructions? The quality of components appears to be superior to what i'm seeing in terms of feedback from Weber users. The cost difference is dramatic though (+300) ... I just can't believe parts alone would drive the price up. Are the instructions really worth that much?

Z

Archived