Keeping the Irish feeling alive...

Ontological

• Members

...here's a new song called "Mouth Full of Blarney". This song was inspired by my trip to the Emerald Isle, Ireland. I visited Blarney Castle home of the famous Blarney stone. There are a lot of legends surrounding the origins of the stone. Some believed it's the rock that Moses struck with his staff while the complaining Israelites were at Meribah and water poured out. Others seem to say the Blarney stone was once part of a boulder that, the soon to be king, David hid behind while Saul pursued him. Nobody knows for sure and I doubt the Blarney stone has any significant origins at all but it doesn't stop millions of tourists from climbing to the top of the castle to lay down and kiss this "magic" stone that the Irish have spent the last few hundred years peeing on. Supposedly whoever kisses this stone will be given the gift of gab. The song is not not finished simply because I don't play drums or bass so I'm always lacking in that department but I hope you like it regardless. Any criticism, as usual, is welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=960990

Mouth Full of Blarney

If you lay down

And kiss the stone

The gift of gab

Will come along

And your lover

Need never know

They were wooed with

A mouth full

Of Blarney, of Blarney

All the way from Moses staff

Right down to David

• Members

Makes me think, just a little, of the folk-hard-rock mash of Fairport Convention.

The song has a nice feel of mystery but the hard-headed realism of the lyrics sort of undercuts it on some level -- yet holds the key to maybe taking things back into even bigger mysteries. Even though it's kind of implicit, I couldn't help but wonder if you might gain some advantage by being more explicit that the real nature of the magic drawing the boy and girl together in the song is older than the legend and as timeless as the stone itself. (Give or take an eon or two.)

Not too explicit, mind you... ;)

• Members

Makes me think, just a little, of the folk-hard-rock mash of Fairport Convention.

The song has a nice
feel
of mystery but the hard-headed realism of the lyrics sort of undercuts it on some level -- yet holds the key to maybe taking things back into even bigger mysteries. Even though it's kind of implicit, I couldn't help but wonder if you might gain some advantage by being more
explicit
that the
real
nature of the magic drawing the boy and girl together in the song is older than the legend and as timeless as the stone itself. (Give or take an eon or two.)

Not
too
explicit, mind you...
;)

Interesting proposition. Any ideas as to how you would execute it?

• Members

Hey Deric......here is what I think.

This song starts at the second verse (3:00). And I mean it starts hard! By the 'lay down' part I'm hearing Led Zeppelin and really digging it. I'm hearing a lot of things I like.....including a somewhat distressed Fairport Convention.

But I almost didn't get there because the first part didn't capture me.

Try it......you might like it. And you might even consider putting part of the beginning at the end.....somehow.

Archived