Best "Metal" Combo Tube Amp Under $400?

Robert W

• Members

i just got rid of my vh-140c a little while ago...

got my jcm 2000 combo for 400...but it might be hard to find one for that. you'd be surprised what you can get them for. i wasn't even looking for one until i saw one pop up here for 400, never looked back, and its the best sounding amp (to me) that I have ever owned including the ampeg and an engl way back when.

• Members

Here's my criteria,

Under $400 USD

Tubes, no solid state stuff

Low watts, 15-20 is preferable. Will mostly be used for practice and informal home recording.

Have a good tone for "metal". Especially Sabbathy sounding power chord type stuff.

I've been ready every review and watching every demo vid on youtube I can find and have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Laney VC15-110 15 Watt or a Laney LC15-110 15 Watt. If anyone owns either of these two models or, better yet, knows of something better, please let me know.

I think of "sabbathy" as more hard rock than metal, at least by today's standards. ...for practice and home...the Laney's and Peavey's would suit you well. A small fender with a pedal (like Boss Turbo OD) would work great too.

• Members
  • Members
I think of "sabbathy" as more hard rock than metal, at least by today's standards. ...for practice and home...the Laney's and Peavey's would suit you well. A small fender with a pedal (like Boss Turbo OD) would work great too.

Showing my age? :lol:

I understand what you mean though. I'm not really a fan of the "newer" metal tones that seem so predominant today. I don't know whether it's the widespread use of EMGs or what, but they all seem kind of flat and un-dynamic sounding, at least to my ears.

Personally, I think the tone Tom Warrior got on Morbid Tales was just about the heaviest thing I've ever heard and all he used was a JCM800 and a tube screamer.

Archived