Swedish Metal > Finnish Metal

DirtyBird

• Members

Soilwork > Norther

Arch Enemy > Children of Bodom

Dark Tranquillity > Kalmah

Amon Amarth > Wintersun

Opeth > Sonata Arctica

The Swedes have way more groove it seems... Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the Swedish bands have gone to {censored} in recent years... Soilwork and In Flames being prime offenders... but I'll take new Soilwork and In Flames over the icepicky black metal vocal'd over-keyboarded treble fiesta that tends to be Finnish metal. :o

Who agrees?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finnish metal is lame, more than often they're just a bunch of girly men with long blonde straight hair. Keyboards are also ghey.

But I kinda really hate folk, especially the extreme kind, so that probably rules out 95% of all Finnish metal.

• Members

Dark Tranquillity have gone to {censored} too IMO. Nothing good since Haven, except for Ex Nihilo (I think it's called). Still, The Gallery, The Mind's I, Projector and Haven were all great. I pretty much wouldn't put Arch Enemy above anyone though. I'd rather listen to COB than Arch Enemy, even their crapper stuff. :o Soilwork put out what, one or two good albums? After Chainheart they started with the bull{censored} growly verse, clean voice chorus repetitive crap.

Besides that... I'm trying to think of some good Finnish bands. Beyond Twilight are Finnish aren't they? :o

But then Sweden also has the likes of Andromeda, Pain of Salvation, Diablo Swing Orchestra... I think from memory Machinery are Swedish, and that whateverthe{censored} album they put out wasn't bad.

• Members

Im a big Mike Ammott fanboy of sorts. Arch Enemy hit a slump after Angela joined, but Rise of the Tyrant is a good album. Way better than anything since Burning Bridges. :thu:

I also think Soilwork was excellent up until Figure Number 5. Steelbath, Chainheart, A Predator's Portrait, and to a lesser extent, Natural born Chaos are all good. So their discography is pretty much split. That's 3 good albums, 3 bad albums, and an okay one in the middle.

I'd have listed In Flames, but I prefer to think that modern In Flames doesnt exist. :o

Sweden also has Scar Symmetry.

• Members
Im a big Mike Ammott fanboy of sorts. Arch Enemy hit a slump after Angela joined, but Rise of the Tyrant is a good album. Way better than anything since Burning Bridges.
:thu:

I also think Soilwork was excellent up until Figure Number 5. Steelbath, Chainheart, A Predator's Portrait, and to a lesser extent, Natural born Chaos are all good. So their discography is pretty much split. That's 3 good albums, 3 bad albums, and an okay one in the middle.

I'd have listed In Flames, but I prefer to think that modern In Flames doesnt exist.
:o

Meh, I've got Burning Bridges.. to me it sounds like cool riffs, slapped together randomly, some wankery added in, and then a {censored} vocalist over the top of some of the riffs (and now they've got Angela, who's even worse). Some cool ideas, just none of it happens to be at all relevant to anything else that's happened around it. :confused: I prefer Chris's playing to Mike's too, not that it really has anything to do with anything.

Steelbath I never got into much, although I still give it a listen now and then. Chainheart I think is a great CD. I still like putting that on here and there, and it still sounds great to me. From there on, they just fell into a forumla IMO. A few good songs on Predator's, but mostly it just bores the tits off me.

In Flames were never any good IMO. :o

• Members

Your comparisons are totally {censored}ed. Opeth versus Sonata Arctica? :freak:

Anyway... off the top of my head...

Demilich

Ensiferum

Torso{censored}

Rotten Sound

Amorphis

Wintersun

Impaled Nazarene

Yeah Finland's got a lot of good bands. Obviously Sweden wins in terms of death metal, but Finland wins in terms of power metal (if you're into it) and Demilich is godly...

• Members
Your comparisons are totally {censored}ed. Opeth versus Sonata Arctica?
:freak:

Anyway... off the top of my head...

Demilich

Ensiferum

Torso{censored}

Rotten Sound

Amorphis

Wintersun

Impaled Nazarene

Yeah Finland's got a lot of good bands. Obviously Sweden wins in terms of death metal, but Finland wins in terms of power metal (if you're into it) and Demilich is godly...

Well none of them are directly analogous per se, I was just picking random, popular ones. Most popular swedish bands are better than most popular Finnish bands, IMO.

And Rotten Sound? Are you serious? :facepalm:

I saw them live with Carcass and Suffocation and came away wondering if their whole act was a joke. I kind of felt bad for them since everyone in the crowd pretty much just stared at them, confused as to what exactly they were doing. Just complete sonic mud and nonsense.

• Members
And Rotten Sound? Are you serious?
:facepalm:

I saw them live with Carcass and Suffocation and came away wondering if their whole act was a joke. I kind of felt bad for them since everyone in the crowd pretty much just stared at them, confused as to what exactly they were doing. Just complete sonic mud and nonsense.

Well they are a grindcore band, so a certain degree of "nonsense" is to be expected, but they are quite intelligible (musically). Here's a clip of them with their old drummer (now in Wintersun).

SHoY51VCluI

Teh song:

Jp-NBfsfq8o

• Members
Still has to be one of the worst bandnames I've ever seen. I mean, Stamina by itself is lame, then there is a {censored}ing 1 instead of the i. Totally original though.

Kind of like your username, then :)

Anyway, I'm Finnish and like Swedish metal better. Probably because my favorites are old school Entombed and Dismember from Sweden.

• Members

I like the Swedes. RAWKIN metal! At The Gates/The Haunted, Soilwork (newer stuff is "meh" but they rocked out live last month), older In Flames (Clayman & earlier) Darkane, Arch Enemy... The only band I kinda liked from Finland was Amorphous, and they only had a couple good songs (Divinity was pretty good).

• Members
Dark Tranquillity have gone to {censored} too IMO. Nothing good since Haven, except for Ex Nihilo (I think it's called). Still, The Gallery, The Mind's I, Projector and Haven were all great. I pretty much wouldn't put Arch Enemy above anyone though. I'd rather listen to COB than Arch Enemy, even their crapper stuff.
:o
Soilwork put out what, one or two good albums? After Chainheart they started with the bull{censored} growly verse, clean voice chorus repetitive crap.

I'm going to have to politely disagree. Character and Fiction are great albums; I don't think they've lost a step at all.

I agree about AE though... they bore the hell out of me.

• Members

Swedens music industry is about 100x bigger so I'd guess they'd have more bands too. And a lot finnish bands get promoted only in Finland and maybe Sweden and Germany.

DnWnoi3IX_w

qFCgiCuL2Gg

BVCVazFOmoU

jHXxUsqkDdE

dNP68roEQBY

nmslk0coiRk

pThZtPZLnJI

9jbpZtE-Zm8

8dXgGkmnJOE

KPZGMqWqbyk

[YOUTUBE]s5xpug_lrno[/YOUTUBE]

Archived